what would be a good standard for me to study next?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by rich2k4, Apr 15, 2008.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

so far, i've been working on Now's The Time by charlie parker, and Autumn leaves with my teacher. he told me to pick another standard for next lesson. however, i'm not sure which one would be good for me to do next.

i want to start off easy and gradually move up to the harder tunes.

these are the ones i have been thinking about.

Take Five - this one may seem boring, even though it has a real cool head melody. a friend said it is pretty much straight diatonic and isn't that fun.

Mr PC - i always liked this one.

Yardbird Suite

Out Of Nowhere - this one seems like fun

St Thomas - This one seems fun as well

any other recommendations?

i know most of it comes down to what interests you, but i just thought that i should ask for recommendations.

2. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    All the Things You Are - Kern and Hammerstein (?)
    (too advanced?)
    So What? (Mles Davis)
    Night and Day - Cole Porter (pick a version!)

3. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

pick a tune that you really like and learn that one

4. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    It doesn't really matter, eventually you're going to learn a bunch more, right?

I wouldn't pick Take 5, it's a great song but it's in 5/4 which could be a problem, and it's also the type of song where the melody is busy and you're not going to be able to do any real chord melody type of thing. IMO, when you're learning it's essential to pick a tune where you can look at the chords and melody together, so a busy melody makes that difficult.

Mr. PC is ok, but there's really nothing to it, it's just a minor blues. And again, the melody doesn't really help you understand the changes.

The other 3 are better- they're more actual songs, often what would be called "changes tunes". Some others:

Four
    Green Dolphin Street
    Recordame
    Four on Six
    Yesterdays
    Blue Bossa
    Doxy
    Tune Up
    There is No Greater Love
    There Will Never Be Another You
    Love For Sale
    You Don't Know What Love Is
    Loverman

But like they said, pick one you actually want to learn. If you look at it like homework you'll play it like it's homweork.

5. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

Whatevr song you choose, it can be helpful is to listen to vocal versions of the standards. Listening to, say, Sinatra deliver the melody gives you a more organic understanding of the tune. Youtube has a wealth of material.

6. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Almost any standard could be easy or more difficult to play, depending on your arrangement and your musical vocabulary. Don't be fooled into thinking that an open modal jam like "All Blues" is easier than "Stella By Starlight". It's not. With more room, comes more rope to hang yourself with. And conversely, when you have more space and less chord changes, you have way more freedom...something that Miles Davis and others were exploring in the modal movement away from hard bop.
    Back to your question. I'd pick a great Latin standard next, like "Wave" or "Corcovado" or a great 3/4 tune like "Bluesette". 3/4 time is something that can kick your hiney if you haven't lived in 3/4 land for awhile. All your 4/4 phrases won't fit very well in 3/4 time. Good luck, Jon.

7. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

The Girl from Ipanema...
    It's amazing how many great players get lost during the bridge ....
    Aways cracks me up when gigging with them ...

8. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

I´d pick something either along the lines of Autumn Leaves, such as Fly Me To The Moon, or Stormy Weather, or I´d pick a rhythm changes tune, which is a very essential progression.

9. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

blue bossa would be a good one, cus there's 2-5-1 in both major and minor key

10. DrSax

DrSax Member

Good suggestions. Something in 3/4 would be a good idea, to get a different feel. West Coast Blues is a great one. Play that to a metronome, you can really get turned around!

Maybe a Monk tune. He can be very deceptivly simple (eg. the heads), but man he's a tricky bugger. Bemsha Swing, In Walked Bud, or maybe a ballad like Ruby, My Dear. I personally think slooooow tunes are hard to play than fast ones.

11. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

Blue Bossa is a fave. For me it was a similar level to Autumn Leaves. Easy to memorize and fun to solo over.

12. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

One of my favs...

13. susudio

susudio Member

One of the first standards my teacher gave me was "Take the A Train", Duke Ellington. It was really good for chord melody and can be a great arpeggio exercise.

14. gennation

gennation Member

Tune Up - IIm-V-I
    Night and Day - IIm7b5-V-I
    What is This Thing Called (Love) - IIm7b7-V-Im and IIm-V-I in one tune

Bluesette is another great one for just cooking along. Along with a series of IIm-V's and IIm-V-I's you get that Chromatic turn around, much like Autumn Leaves has.

Softly as the Morning Sunrise is another good one as it turns around the IIm7b5-V-Im progression into Im-IIm7b5-V.

15. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

Bluesette has nice changes in it.

16. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

All of Me
    Satin Doll
    Round Midnight

17. JonR

JonR Member

+1 for "Blue Bossa". This is a popular beginner level improv tune: short, easy to remember, with a neat key change.
    "Satin Doll", too, always crops up as a beginner tune. (Can get boring very quickly tho...sorry Duke ;) )

"Girl From Ipanema" is a great tune, but way too complicated (in the bridge) for someone just coming out of Autumn Leaves!

Another good Latin groove is Horace Silver's "Song For My Father". The only complication with that one is the form is AAB, not AABA (everyone gets that wrong at least once...)

"Summer Time" is also nice and easy - maybe too easy! (or too much of a cliche...)

Any "rhythm changes" tune would also be a good choice - maybe even "I Got Rhythm" itself!
    Sonny Rollins' "Oleo" is one example, but the tune is a little tricky. Same with the Charlie Parker tunes based on those changes.

"Canteloupe Island" is another nice groove: bluesy/Latin, with some modal overtones.
    Talking of modal - if you want a good introduction to modal jazz (but check with your tutor if he wants to take you there!), try these:
    "So What" (Miles Davis) or "Impressions" (John Coltrane) (same sequence, different melody)
    "Little Sunflower" (Freddie Hubbard)
    "Maiden Voyage" (Wayne Shorter)

(So What and Little Sunflower are great exercises in counting bars when improvising... ;) )

Out of your list, I agree "Take Five" has too many complications. Although it's essentially just one chord in the A section, the 5/4 time is a serious challenge for most people - and the chords do change quickly in the bridge.

"St Thomas" is indeed fun, and "Out of Nowhere" has that nice chord change at beginning.
    "Yardbird Suite" is trickier, IMO. If you really like the tune, it's a good challenge (one of his easier melodies), but maybe not for your tune no.3, after "Now's The Time" and Autumn Leaves".;)

The important thing, of course, is that it's a tune you really like to listen to, and want to play.

18. cigpow

cigpow Member

But Not for Me

One of my fav's

If you want to try something a little harder you could learn If I Were a Bell

-Ian

19. Jazz guru

Jazz guru Member

Freddie Freeloader
    Harlam Nocturn
    Black Orphus (sp?)
    Watch What Happens
    Girl from Ipanema (sp?)
    Don't Get Around Much Anymore