What would be a good upgrade from a Wampler Euphoria?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pusher, Dec 8, 2016.

1. pusher

pusher Member

I've been rockin' the Euphoria and especially like how it sounds with an EP Booster in front of it, just dialed to 8 o'clock, set just to add some grit to my clean sound. I have the Euphoria set to Smooth or Open, not a lot of gain cuz it gets fuzzy real fast. and I keep the bass down so it cuts through on stage a little better.

I play a strat with Lace Sensors into a Mesa/Boogie Express. Love my clean tone, but just want to improve the OD side and maybe trade myself into a holiday gift.

I guess I'm not feeling much in the way of a responsiveness to the Euphoria. I was thinking of trying similar types of 'D' type OD's like a Zen Drive, or something.

Looking for suggestions that have more responsiveness, depth, more definition to them.

Thanks, Gents!

Buzzard Luck likes this.
  2. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

J Rockett Dude. I've had the Euphoria too. The Dude is the best D style I've had.

joealba, Overdriver18 and Matt L like this.
  3. Andrew.

Andrew. Member

4. pusher

pusher Member

5. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

Can't that Mesa do what you're talking about by itself??

abnerfm likes this.
  6. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Barber Burn Unit EQ or Small Fry.

urQuill likes this.
  7. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought much would be an upgrade as such - maybe a Van Weelden Royal Overdrive?

I suppose if you are just looking for a different Dumble pedal but not neccessarily an upgrade, maybe the Dude, or the Zendrive?

That Pedal Show did a 'D' style shoutout - check that out.

8. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

7 knob Howie with 80s:90s toggle
    Dude
    Zen

9. NielsM

NielsM Member

I really like my Simble for responsiveness. It goes from completly clean to very gritty. But I also wouldn't use to much gain for Simble because it really shines best with gain to about 10 o'clock. It can get very fuzzy as well.
    It has an Accent and Contour knob for you to give it more definition.

Maybe not an upgrade from the Euphoria, just different.

10. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Another vote for The Dude. Love that pedal.

11. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

I wonder whether the Barber B.U.S.S. Direct Drive would fit into the "D"-pedal category.

I had a Small Fry, as mentioned ... hard to imagine a pedal that straight-forward that would beat it for D-tones.

Doesn't everyone usually say the Ethos is the one to get?

While I was looking for that, I also found the TPS vid; for your convenience:

12. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

The smartass answer:
    A Dumble....

An actual answer:
    Ethos

13. Overdriver18

Overdriver18 Member

I agree on the Dude. To me it feels very responsive and I like the EQ on it. I mainly kept the gain lower than noon though.

joealba likes this.
  14. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I honestly don't think that any of the suggestions are upgrades from the Wampler, which is one of the greatest pedals of all time IMO. They do offer different flavours though. I own a Dude and the Euphoria. Neither one is better to my ears. The Dude has much more mids and less detailed top end presence. The Euphoria does a better Fender amp turned up to eleven and about to explode. The Dude is a fantastic, thick, gutsy tone.

15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

had the wampler and thought it was outstanding
    could be pretty clean and open but also a couple of knob twists away from warm fuzzy singing
    the zendrive was next up on the list
    but totally different
    more compressed, but super singing leads that could easily feed back with a semi-hollow. it was a natural 'next' pedal. have fun in the search.

16. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Since the op asked for kindly suggestions~ Suggestion time~, how about an Emma 'reeza' pedal ? v1 or v2 may suit you and they are still some of the best around. TC Dark matter/mojo could be a fun cheap date that works. Personally, after a few failed Wampler's endless fuzz re-do attempts, I learned much more clearly what sounds good and what doesn't. Now, A pretty blue Weehbo JVM sits where once a totally over praised Wampler ecstacy/dumble/magic transparent boost once sat-Which was never an honest description for a fuzz thing.