What would be involved in putting a 15" in a deville? Would it be difficult?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by elkym, Feb 17, 2009.

1. elkym

elkym Member

I'm thinking the 2-12 model is smaller, right? (height-wise)

I'm assuming there's plenty of room in there... or am I missing something?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. elkym

elkym Member

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

you basically just need to replace the baffle and get the ohmage right. I think you can get a serviceable speaker baffle from mojotone.

4. elkym

elkym Member

I can't seem to find a baffle made for a 15"-- anybody know where else I can look?
    I've been to avatar, tedweber, and mojotone...

Or did I miss something?

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

don't know.... they're not hard to make if you're at all handy with woodworking/masonite.

6. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Getting the ohmage right might be a bigger challenge than replacing the baffle. Is there an 8 ohm coil tap on the Deville's OT?

7. elkym

elkym Member

4x10 model: 4 or 8 ohms
    2x12 model: 2 or 4 ohms

Eminence makes a 4 ohm 15" and two 8 ohm 15"

8. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

PM frankiestarr, He's put a 15 in his twin.

9. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

You can build a baffle with a cheap power circular saw, a jigsaw for the speaker hole, a hand saw with a cheap plastic miter box for the trim, a staple gun, some grill cloth from Mojo or Antique Electronic Supply, some 1/2" birch plywood, and some 1/4 x 5/8 trim. I built a 15" baffle for a Super Reverb once that matched the build design and materials of the original in about 4 hours, including stretching the grill cloth on. Actually, it was better materials - the original used pressboard instead of birch ply.

Cut the speaker hole so it is wide enough for the speaker and doping, without revealing any of the speaker frame. Drill and use 4 T-Nuts inserted from the front, so you can back-load the speaker, Fender style. Use the speaker basket as a jig to mark and drill the holes for the T-Nuts.

The grill cloth, BTW, is not that tricky. Start in the middle, top and bottom, stretching them apart, stapling both in place, then stretch the ends of both top and bottom, lining up with the same place on the fabric as the center staples, then staple. You'll then have 3 staple points on both top and bottom. Then stretch vertically and staple across both top and bottom, making sure to keep the fabric lined up. Then stretch the sides at center and staple to the same place in the vertical fabric as the top and bottom. Then repeat up and down, stretching horizontally to keep the fabric lined up. It's actually very easy to do and insure everything is lined up well.

10. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

why not get an extension cab? I was gonna convert my twin to a 1X15" but I think Id miss that 2X12 fullness so I decided on a extension cab...the best of both worlds,