What would be the best 412 for a Komet 60 and Constellation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IPlayHamers, May 24, 2005.

1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Just curious as to what you guys use. I've decided to seel everything and buy both of these amps since Trainwrecks are out of the question price wise.

Thanks........

2. gregc

gregc Member

I don't know if it's what's best, but here's what I did and it puts a big grin on my face every time I light it up:
    4x12 cab by Mojotone, built to 68 Marshall spec.
    Load em with 4 Celestion Greenbacks.

gregc

3. PAF

PAF Member

Hogy recommends old pre rola celestions loaded Marshalls =)

I use a not-quite-so-old Marshall 412 w rola blackbacks, sounds great

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

+1. I had the Germino (Mojotone) 4x12 cab with 2 GBs, and 2 G12H30s, and that sounded great, so I am sure 4 GBs would sound excellent too!

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I emailed Hogy a few weeks back about this very thing. A guy up here in the San Fernando Valley had a 71 straight cab with G12M 102 003 cones in it, and then he had a Mojotone cab with four Scumback SA12's in it (two 55's and two 75's). He owns both a Komet 60 and a Constellation.

There really wasn't any comparison, although the old Marshall cab sounded good, it just didn't have the huevos to keep up with the Komet amps thru the Scumback injected Mojotone cab.

They really are voiced for the Pre Rola "H" tone to my ears, and that's probably why Hogy has the clips that demonstrate his amps done with old Pre Rola G12H30's with 102 014 cones. There's just something about that old tone, through a good amp.

Can you imagine another amp builder getting an email from me telling him how good I thought his amps sounded? Well that's what happened. Hogy makes a great amp.

Period.

6. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

One of the all time best tones I've ever heard period is my Constellation through a Bruno semi-open back 4X12 loaded with Celestion Blues. It just doesn't get any better than that to these ears.;)

Steve

7. Would any of you recommend using the 55Hz and 75Hz Scumbag speakers in an X configuration?

Just curious....Grendel

8. Chi

Chi Member

I agree, having owned a Connie, and still own my K60-

Basketweave with old G12h (preferable 30's) but 25's kick A as well...

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I know I can recommend it. However, the gent that has all of these just "lurks" here and isn't a member. I do this in my demo cab, though, and it kicks pretty serious butt.

Too bad you're not in LA, I could arrange a demo with your guitar and amp, but I realize you're on the East Coast, and the closest person I could think of who has what you'd like to try out is Greg Germino. Not exactly close to you! Sorry...:(

10. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have good results with my Komet 60 and a 2x12 Germino w/Greenbacks. But it really sound killer with my early '70s Marshall 4x12 w/GH1230 pre-Rolas.

11. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

I spoke with Gene from Ultrasound yesterday (Komet dist.) and he said a Bruno or Diezel basketweave with the new Celestion G12 (55hz) sounds great.

12. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

I have not played a connie, but seem's i have heard it has a chimy clean tone well suited for blues.So a H30 or equivilent is my pick.
    when loaded in a 4X12 they seem to have a great chime, and big bottom, and flatter mid's were the chime can be even and tonefull. This will suit both a connie and 60, which for the 60, i personally like both spkrs, but make me pick it would be green's. If you going to only have the one cab I would go that a way. (imho, ymmv, never pet a burning dog, there is no bam bam in the champagne room) VDG