What would be the boutique version of a Bad Monkey?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LaXu, Sep 11, 2005.

1. LaXu

LaXu Member

You know, something with true bypass, high and low tone controls, Tube Screamerish tone but not quite as compressed..maybe slightly thicker/richer than the Bad Monkey and so on.

2. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

For around the same price but just a better tone pedal that puts the Monkey back on the trailer,you would have to use the Nobles ODR -1 special,It sounds great,does what the Monkey does only better and more EQ functions.:D
    and for around 50.00 great deal

3. erksin

erksin Member

MI Audio Blue Boy - can be a TS if you want, but has a boatload of other sounds in it.

4. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

The Timmy will do the the Bad Monkey tones and then some.

5. LaXu

LaXu Member

Neither of those have the separate high and low controls which I find rather useful on the BM.

6. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

The Nobles has a 3 band EQ what more do you need,If thats not enough get a EQ pedal in front! :confused:

7. erksin

erksin Member

The Blue Boy has 3 internal trimmers which do a LOT of tone shaping. They are pretty much set and forget. The tone control is really more for fine tuning once you have those trimmers set. If you play through several different amps or rotate many different guitars, maybe it wouldn't be a good match for you.

The Timmy has Bass and Treble controls, but it's not a TS-flavored pedal IMO...

The Reverend Drivetrain II has separate controls, but it's not a higher gain TS - tons of output on tap though.

8. LaXu

LaXu Member

I was referring to the Timmy and MI Audio pedals. Unfortunately there seem to be no Nobels dealers in Finland so I wouldn't be able to try one. Don't like internal trimmers either, I'd rather have those on the front so they can be easily adjusted.

I use the BM mostly as a boost (level full, gain zero to 9 o'clock, EQ to taste) and use several guitars. I wonder if the Xotic AC Booster or BB Preamp would get me similar tones?

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

reverend drivetrain
    Xotic AC Booster
    Timmy
    Zoom PD-01 (I prefer the 'monkey to this pedal for OD but the clean boost is great)

10. scotty31

scotty31 Member

Mike is re-releasing the BB as a BB deluxe, with the internals made external.

11. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

Just a note. If he wants the pedal to be true bypass then the Nobels and the Drivetrain are not good options. Not to say that they aren't good pedals. Just not true bypass. I have the Drivetrain II myself and it's a good TS style pedal with the bass and treble controls and decreased mid-hump. It's a pity they aren't made anymore. So I don't think it's a good suggestion.

The Timmy is a great pedal as a boost, or with the right amp as an overdrive. It's an excellent pedal with a middy amp. It has practically no coloration to the eq if you want it. But by rolling off the treble and bass (almost) completely (fully clockwise) you can have a very slight mid bump. If you order one from Paul I don't think you'll be disappointed. Boutique pedal without the boutique price tag. There's a wait though.

It's too bad you can't try a lot of pedals here in Finland, isn't it. But what about the Menatone pedals. Red Snapper or Blue Collar? Nowadays they are available here too. Soitinkeskus sells them and
    Hedix imports them

I haven't tried them yet though, LaXu. Have you?

EDIT: I didn't remember that the Red Snapper and the Blue Collar don't have separate bass and treble controls. So, they might not be what you're looking for.

12. LaXu

LaXu Member

Never tried a Menatone. For now I'm thinking maybe I should just go with an Uraltone true bypass box kit (30€) since the slight level drop and having the EQ affect the sound with the BM off are my only problems with the unit.

The Xotic AC Booster and BB Preamp do interest me though, but I suppose they're a bit more neutral boost type things? I have to take the subway to Custom Sounds some day and try 'em..

13. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The RC booster is a clean neutral boost. The AC booster is an OD in the vein of a high quality Tube Screamer and is probably closest to what you are looking for. The BB is a med-hi gain OD pedal with a marshally flavor.

14. just ken

just ken Member

I run sound, but I'm a guitar player. I have an early powder blue fulldrive II (pull for comp cut) and a Bad Monkey (the hype on this board got to me). Anyway, I was letting the guitar player in band that I mixed use my Fulldrive II. I showed up one day with the bad monkey and he used it from that day forward. Back at the board, I couldn't tell that he had switched pedals. In fact, he had both pedals hooked up for a while and I could never tell when he had which pedal switched on. And then at some point, he stopped using the FDII altogether, but I was never sure when that happened. So I think the monkey can give the FDII a pretty good run, especially for the money. Now, I still like my FDII and I expect it will outlast the monkey by a long shot, but even at full retail I think the monkey is pretty high on the bang for the buck factor.

15. frank62

frank62 Member

ah yes, the modest little bad monkey. well it sure blew a lot of big time big buck powder coated od boxes out of the water. look at it this way. dod, a harmon international company has huge resourses and most booteek stuff is built by one man one at a time. if mike fuller built the bad monkey it would be $200 and if dod built a fulldrive it would be $40. as ken said as a sound man he frankly could not tell the difference. the bad monkey is ugly and looks cheap. the fulltone stuff is beautiful and built like a tank. as for the sound...well.

16. just ken

just ken Member

FWIW, the guitar player was plugged into my orignal 65 Super Reverb, mic'd with an SM57, through an Allen & Heath GL3300 board, crown power amp, Bose 802s (don't ask, er, well I suppose it could be argued that the 802s are the reason why I couldn't tell when he switched to the monkey, but it kinda makes my point too in a way, that is, we go through all this trouble as guitar players to find our "perfect sound" but "that sound" often times only makes it to the first few rows, after that your at the mercy of the sound guy--which is why I prefer to be the sound guy these days, I got so tired of hearing "turn it down" that I became the sound guy. Now I come armed with my own amps, Hotplates, and GT Speaker Emulators and all manor of cool OD pedals to be able to not have to tell the guitar player to "turn it down" and still deliver smokin' guitar tones). BTW, the guy sounded great with the FDII and the bad monkey, tried out my Keeley Rat but decide it wasn't for him.