What would cause this sound? - but probably not an amp problem

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by thecomposinator, Dec 27, 2017.

1. thecomposinator

thecomposinator Supporting Member

I've been having this problem when I boost my amps, whenever I clean boost into the front of my amps (NewCastle 30 and AC15, heck, even a KRK Rokit 5 monitor!) I get this distorted sound that sound harsh like a digital distortion. In the video I looped from my timeline with the looper volume all the way up and you can hear it pretty pronounced. Again, it's in both amps and a monitor, so I don't think it's an amp problem (I thought it might have been one of the amps or something).

Here are a few things I've chased down:

1) The sound also appears when I boost using a clean boost, both a rockaway archer (with not gain but boosted) and my bearfoot SBEQ when a bit above unity caused the sound, so it's not the timeline.

2) I don't think it's a patch cable, as in the video it's gtr-timeline-amp. So no patch cables.

3) I have 4 different instrument cables—lava, monster, and 2 mogami—I've switched all of them out and the sound is still there.

4) I thought it might be a power supply problem, but the timeline is being powered by it's own PSU not my pp2+.

5) When I plug in direct the sound isn't there, but sometimes I swear when I dig into those lower notes where the sound is prominent I can begin to hear it breaking up like that slightly.

6) I'm really at a loss at this point because I don't know what to change out or how to further assess it or what it could be. I thought when boosting a clean amp it would break up more naturally and less harsh (at least that's what I've seen in all the videos).

Thanks in advance!

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

That's digital clipping I believe.

3. bob-i

bob-i Member

To expand, you're over driving the input of the looper. It simply can't handle the level when you crank it up.

scott-colorado2016 likes this.
  4. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Or might be overdriving the output of the looper. I agree it sounds like looper is making the noise. That sound is what happens when you mix line level and guitar level effects or have your gain staging out of whack.

pdf64 likes this.
  5. thecomposinator

thecomposinator Supporting Member

Thanks for all the answers guys! Ok, so here's another aspect...if I boost BEFORE my volume pedal and roll the volume pedal back, it's still there. So if it is the Timeline and the chain is boost > volume > timeline then why is the sound still there?

Like if I were to boost +10dB from my pedal then roll back my volume pedal -15dB then it's actually quieter than my unity signal that head to the timeline. But in those cases the sound is still there.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Passive volume pedal? If so, I's say that you are exceeding the boost's clean output capability.

7. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Member

So, guitar-cable-boost pedal-cable-amp gives you that sound, but guitar-cable-amp does not...
    What pickups... passive or active? What volume pedal... passive or active? Tuner... plugged into the volume pedal?