What would I have to do to get more headroom out of a 65 RI Deluxe Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by archtopjazz, Jan 25, 2005.

1. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Would it be the speaker, tubes, transformer, or something else?

Thanks,

Jim

2. aeolian

aeolian Member

You could crank on a pair of JJ 6V6's (biased hot) or put 6L6's in there (biased down so as not to blow things). After that, David Allen sells transformers that essentially allow you to make it into a 40W amp, a la a Vibroluxe Reverb. You need the power transformer and output transformer and a pair of 6L6s. You may want to have a tech check out the filter caps or upgrade that a bit. Some older DR's have one less filter cap.

3. KLB

KLB Member

Stick with JJ 6V6. For more headroom, you don't want to bias them hot (70-80%). Actually, you want to bias them around 40-50% idle dissipation, or about 6 watts (plate volts X bias ma = watts). Get a TONKER! These are very efficient speakers.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If you're using a humbucker equipped guitar, a 5751 in V1 and/or V2 can make a considerable difference.

Speakers can help, depending on what you have in there now.

An output transformer (Allen) even with 6V6s can help a lot. Output transformer and 6L6GCs would help more. Add an upgraded power transformer for the most improvement.

5. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Several years ago when I bought mine I replaced the stock speaker with a Kendrick Brownframe and replaced all the tubes with NOS GE and Mullards. This helped alot. About 2 years ago I put in SED 6L6s. This made another big improvement. Much tighter and punchier.

By the way, all tubes were purchased thru Mike at KCA (Blue Strat). His help and recommendations are great.

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The best mod ever for getting more headroom out of a Deluxe Reverb is called selling it and buying a Vibrolux Reverb - seriously! :dude

7. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I tried one of the new Vibrolux Reverbs and that seemed to have less headroom than the Deluxe Reverb. Haven't been able to find one of the older ones.

8. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

The Best thing is to sell it and get a DRZ-Z28 or a Carr Slant 6,also if you can find a EV or JBL K-120 speaker will help greatly,
    I had a 65RI and I changed to a JBL K-120 and improved the headRoom some by changing speaker.
    One of the nice thing about the 65 is that it can break up early,but somtimes for Jazz with a heavy string gauge the amp will overdrive much sooner.
    Jim call about the 335 if you still selling.

Hey Jon Did you get your heater repaired?

9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The new version "Custom Vibrolux Reverb" is absolutely not what I meant by a Vibrolux Reverb.

This is what I'm referring to! :cool:

[​IMG]