What would it take for a new band as big as the Beatles to come out and make

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    ...everyone go completely crazy?

A new kind of music with new instruments that actually takes talent to play?

Some kind of new drugs invented for the listeners? :confused

Some kind of combination of notes that makes your dopamine glands go crazy and lose control?

We need something happening here people, time is running out! :waiting

Thx-1138 and pickaguitar like this.
  2. shane8

shane8 Member

tick tock

ya need heaps of internet 'influencers' broski

or get into K-pop

3. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

We don't all listen to the same few radio and TV stations anymore. Mass hysteria ala The Beatles is never going to happen again - and Rock is old and associated with oldies. The youth of the Beatles era didn't have all the distractions and gizmos we have - so they obsessed about radio and Pop stars in a way we don't, and really cannot, anymore.

Dance halls where bands could play and kids could dance is such a quaint and fond memory. When is the next dance craze ala The Twist, The Flop etc going to come along? Line dancing was the last I can think of.

bsacamano, jvin248, willyboy and 10 others like this.
  4. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

don't think it will happen any time soon. the current music industry just isn't geared to produce a super huge band. even if it was how would you really know? record sales are non existent, streaming means little (and wasn't available back then for a comparison) . bands like One Direction come and go fairly quickly. huge one minute and has beens the next.

slooky and Dr. Tweedbucket like this.
  5. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Yeah I have to agree with a couple posts above.

Too much distraction and too many options. Even now you have to do a lot of searching to find something you like. Too many fingers in the formula pie to allow something to slip by and surpass what "they" think we should like.

pickaguitar likes this.
  6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

The monoculture is gone, never to return.

There's good and bad to that.

No "new Beatles".

7. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Yeah, distractions is for sure.

Even a band that was mildly huge ... but there isn't even a blip on the radar. I guess too many things got jacked up.

Spider Mark likes this.
  8. jackson

jackson Member

Too many other entertainment options available nowadays. Music is hard.

9. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

It’s easy to blame the culture now. But we had what, 40 years after the Beatles broke before we got to the Spotify/Internet everywhere and nobody else in that time did it.

They were a one time thing.

Guitarheel62 and pomfret like this.
  10. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

The novelty of mass communication (radio and tv), is long gone and now the internet and all it offers, including short attention spans almost ensures nothing like the Beatles will ever happen again. Some guy named drake thinks he’s so good he got a tattoo, but that was yesterday....

Now if someone can figure out how to turn a garbage dump into edible artwork, that might capture a generation’s attention.

adolan likes this.
  11. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

They have done everything to stifle the creation of new bands, new music, and lyrics that are not a rehash. From the onslaught of the digital format to ticketron from overpricing cd's at the beginning. They took away most excitement and creativity with free music. They look for our convenience and stomp on it hard before opinions change. I am 64 and work with a 16 yr old gal. She love classic rock. I have been trying to convince her to go see Jeff Beck next month. WE know there will not be anything like it in the future for her and I am trying to convince her of that. She wants to go, but really in a couple of more years, no one will be left who were able to light a fire. They wont know an act that can sweep them off their feet for 2 hours. I wonder if there will even be an audience. Maybe Queen will performer with a homeless lead singer and a local bar near you. But it is just about over; ROCK IS DEAD>

John H, StompBoxBlues and Spider Mark like this.
  12. twotone

twotone Member

Time is running out, and then the robots take over.

sahhas and strat62 like this.
  13. murraythek

murraythek Member

All it will take is for a group of good looking, energetic and charming guys to come along with songs written by them (not by a group of songwriters or collaborators) that manage to balance melody and whatever is on the cusp of tomorrow’s music trend.

I think it’s very possible if the right ingredients are there but the catch is they have to have the ability to continue to put out hits and better hits than the last.

It can happen anywhere at anytime. We just need the right group of guys who are willing and capable of doing it.

I hope I see it in my lifetime.

muzishun and 8raw like this.
  14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the whole idea of rock music "bands" with guitars and drums that write their own songs is not a chart-topping thing anymore, it's now a niche genre like jazz or bluegrass

just like jazz and bluegrass there's plenty of audience for it but it's not a mass thing all the kids will go crazy about, those days are over

15. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

we are now fully in the age of hip hop, that's the music that speaks to the younger generation while freaking out their parents. that's the music influencing everything from country radio to TV commercials.

it won't be until the entire idea of rap and hip hop becomes uncool because it's "my dad's music" that it'll start to fade too and settle into being a "genre" like blues, jazz and yes, rock.

the_Chris likes this.
  16. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I have 3 kids 23, 19, 16. I never thought about it until now. None have ever asked for a radio, stereo, or CD for Christmas or for the heck of it. I remember many years ago my job gifted all its employees with mp 3 players when my oldest was in Jr high and I gave it to her and she never opened the package. I found it in a box a while back. My oldest plays guitar and played in a band for a while and my son plays drums and neither have spent a red cent on music.

17. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I am sure this is typical of most families. Music of substance, of intellect, of pure harmonic joy is not on the table with young folks anymore. Rock was huge, there are kids into classic rock and that could last a lifetime. But anything new or challenging, they aren't jumpin on it. I could n=knock rap and hip/hop up and down, but who cares? Thats what they want and that is it.

18. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

It can't happen. The planets were all aligned when that happened, there was something very special in the rock era that is over.
    One of the reasons the Beatles got popular was ( aside from their very obvious individual talents) is quite simply that at the time they first stormed the world, entertainment was limited. We had trasnistor radios and black and white TV and that was IT, other than going to the movies to see the latest Japanese monster movie or a James Bond flick.

Something else the Beatles are guilty of that nobody ever talks about is, they taught us about British culture. Hard as it is to imagine, americans had little knowledge about Britain. Other than having heard Winston Churchill on the radio or seen the very rare odd foreign film on TV, until those Beatles movies played we hadn't a clue how the Brits dressed in every day life or how their streets looked. Or their humor.
    If not for the Beatles and Monty Python later, we wouldn't have had a clue.

The result of which was that people were bright eyed and eager for anything new and fascinating. And if it was the least bit controversial ( which the Beatles were, for GOD SAKES they had all that HAIR, something grown men just didn't do) well then, the sleepy herd was awakened.
    Now there is just so many ways people can entertain themselves that there is no need for another Superman, or Beatles, or John Wayne, or Dick Tracey or man on the moon or mini skirts or James Dean.
    Back then artists of all kinds were mystical because we knew very little about their private lives.
    The reason the Beatles did movies was because we just didn't know jack about them. How they talked, their mannerisms, their facial expressions, how they interacted with each other and the general public. Their management knew that Beatles movies would go over great in the USA because people would go to the movie whether it was a trite bucnh of B.S. or not, because we all wanted to see what those fellows were like. Those quick shots of them doing a song for 2:35 then talking to Ed Sullivan for a half minute didn't give us squat. Everybody, whether they liked the Beatles or not, wanted MORE.
    They were a mystery. Just like with all entertainers. Other than gossip columns and Rona Barret, nobody knew anything about their idols, who were bigger than life.
    We had no idea they who they were screwing, or even IF they screwed.
    The fact John Lennon was married was kept a secret specifically for the benefit of the hormone levels of his female fans.
    Stars were stars because they were mysterious and we had limited knowledge about them. They never had to go to the bathroom, or had "urges" or got mad. We all knew that much back then.

Now before we even hear of the entertainer or singer of musicians of the week, we have already heard all about them. Between TV sets which have just become huge social engineering machines that gossip constantly about celebrities, the internet which gives nobody of any celebrity status any private life, and their lives are under surveillance constantly. There are no secrets.

And for that reason, and the fact that back then we had huge imaginations that didn't have enough to fill them ( as opposed to now when nothing suprises us because computers have made anything possible, from Star Wars GUI that makes little green men real and music that was once beyond the imagination now not even attention getting) stars were bigger than life.

Now, hard as the media tries to make entertainers bigger than life, they are not.
    They all sit on the toilet like the rest of us, they do what we used to have the decency to keep behind closed doors under the watchful eye of the media, they have tempers and emotional problems and they are no longer what we desire to be, because now we know they are just as screwed up as the rest of us.

And for that reason, there will be no more Beatles ever again. Because no matter what the entertainment world tosses at us, it just isn't going to be all that interesting.

That time is gone, and it just cannot happen again.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    adolan, slooky, sdan and 3 others like this.
  19. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

20. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

You sure ain't wrong.
    Imagine a school having a sock hop today. Metal detectors at the door, special duty cops.
    Most of the kids parents wouldn't let them get close to it for fear of some nutcase with his daddies guns would show up.
    And if it did happen , there would be a huge fight over what kind of music to play and there would end up being a special report on TV about "bullying" because some kid got his ass kicked in the parking lot.
    And the teachers would be drawing straws to see who got stuck with the nightmare of overseeing it.

Guitarheel62 and Spider Mark like this.