What would it take for a new band as big as the Beatles to come out and make

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Rimbaud/Rambo

Rimbaud/Rambo Member

Technology aside for a moment, is there really a difference - conceptually - between tweaked/manipulated/repurposed samples and re-re-re-re-reused (yet repurposed) blues and 50s rock tropes? Also, in the '60s, there were often multiple artists covering the same song in a short span of time (a few notable cases of two artists' versions of the same song on the charts at the same time). Many of the Beatles' early hits were covers, even.

Technology not set aside... it's kind of an anachronistic argument. But the prevalence of TV, the rise of recorded music (as opposed to strictly, or predominantly, live), the recent shift to the LP format, etc... are all things that certainly helped The Beatles, and can be chalked up to technological (or cultural) changes well beyond them specifically.

Litterick likes this.
  2. HugoTheCat

HugoTheCat Member

The last time I saw anything approaching Beatles mania was the Grunge Era. Bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins were the rage.
    People were buying plaid shirts and ripped jeans to imitate the musicians.
    I haven’t seen excitement for anything since the early 1990’s and it was the result of happenstance and tons of marketing $$$ coupled with a receptive public.
    So no, I don’t see another Beatles group hitting big.

3. Rimbaud/Rambo

Rimbaud/Rambo Member

It's not impossible, but there are so many factors...

The Beatles hit the scene at a time when television was just becoming ubiquitous - a platform they were able to exploit pretty effectively. You also had a post-war economy and culture that, unlike previous eras, really placed a lot of emphasis on childhood and preserving formative years, combined with a huge middle-class that had never been seen before; unlike previous eras where college attendance was relatively low, and children (of the relatively large lower class, at least) were working, etc... the '50s and '60s created a whole new cultural staple in simply *how* people view childhood. And The Beatles were also able to exploit that (a largely new marketing demographic) with merchandising. Benny Goodman didn't have ****ing lunchboxes, man. The Beatles effectively made themselves cartoons, in a way - or at least were able to tap into that market.

Perhaps for that reason, you also have the long-standing (and just recently fading) cultural supremacy of the 1960s lingering ever since. The first generation to really grow up with mass media as we know it today... Generations before - for various reasons, economic and technology-based - didn't have the tangible products of their nostalgia to pass on to the same degree as Boomers, so it makes sense their media would fade a bit quicker, whereas '60s media would remain dominant; meanwhile, generations since haven't been able to escape the '60s. That's certainly helped to preserve (and augment) The Beatles' legacy.

The reality is, be it K-Pop or whatever Youtube star, there are definitely personalities today who can cause hysteria among children/tweens/teens. As adults, it may not seem as "big" to you as it did when you were a child, though. I'm sure there were adults at the time who were only vaguely aware of The Beatles, who heard kids love them or something, lolz kids are weird, whatever, gonna make dinner then change the car's oil. Which leads to a few issues with perception:

1.) People who see The Beatles as HUGE when they were kids are now looking at media from the perspective of an adult. Of course no one's gonna seem that big to you now... because you're not a kid, they're not marketing to you, you're not as affected by it.
    2.) Even if there theoretically is someone currently who's as big as The Beatles were circa 1964, the legacy won't be the same... The Beatles were arguably the first, so anyone who may be as comparatively popular now won't likely have the same nostalgic legacy, because what their audience passes onto future generations will always be in context of the many others, as a more general cultural trend than a specific first-time event. There's always that comparison to The Beatles, and not necessarily because they were the best, but because they were the first to achieve that level of nostalgic legacy. Older audiences are jaded (because such media dominance become commonplace), and future young audiences have ALL of it to take in (thus making it seem like something that always was, rather than a special event in time).
    3.) On that note, the idea of "branding" and merchandising has become ubiquitous. The Beatles took a market previously separate from music and applied it to music, merchandising their likeness in the way that had - at the time - recently become common for cartoons and child-directed TV shows.

So, it's not so much an issue of popularity as it is legacy of that popularity (see: Drake's Beatles thing recently). No other band will be able to achieve that until we see a shift in technology, marketing/merchandising strategy, and perhaps a new middle-class boom - factors outside of music in general, but which an artist is able to get in on early and exploit. Because while technology has advanced in many ways, the principles remain roughly the same as they were in the '60s. It would basically require a new APPROACH to media that someone can be "the first" to master.

Ginglymus likes this.
  4. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

I don't think it will ever happen again. Part of the global craze for the Beatles was the perfect timing of it in the course of music history and cultural & technical evolution.
    The chances of all those stars lining up again to create something as impactful in so many ways is astronomical.

VaughnC likes this.
  5. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

Add in the Kennedy Assassination. Beatles played Ed Sullivan only two months after. Talk about slapping the youth of America out of a funk!

SteveO likes this.
  6. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

You must not have teenage kids. New dance moves come along on a regular basis. A few recent ones off the top of my head:

The Floss
    Orange Justice
    The Nae Nae
    Twerk
    etc
    etc

There are many more...it never ends.

7. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

TGP....your age is showing.

While the over 50 crowd moans about how nothing is ever "new", and there will never be anything "new" again, and that nothing is original any more, the under 20 crowd finds everything to be "new". And from those new things they generally gravitate towards a couple that befuddle or offend the sensibilities the over 50 crowd.

Same as it ever was.

Will there be another Beatles? Probably not. But there will be another something, and if you're over 50 you won't understand it, and may even hate it.

8. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Everyone is too distracted and emboldened these days to care about something singularly...I'm VERY sad to say.

I long for the days when we all could hear a hit on the radio and get collectively excited about it. Never gonna happen again I'm afraid but at least I got to live it for a bit.
    Now we're all compartmentalized, too many choices, distractions, short-term thinking...we all think we know better and have to search for stuff. I hear the same old tired comment..."you got to search for new music online" which personally makes me wanna puke! Used to be if a hit was a hit...you would be made aware of it. Cream used to rise to the top.

The best we have today is Old Town Road?

I once heard Paul say in an interview that if he were to debut this day in age...we'd never hear about him. It was all time and circumstance.

But I DO love the way you think Doctor!

Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  9. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Good writing
    Catchy tunes
    A beat that feels great to dance or sway to

10. pickaguitar

My kid quit honors violin and started a rap crew of sorts. Jus sayin'

11. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

The Jonas Brothers. I'm not kidding. Mass hysteria is real. Ask my teenage daughter.

Us talking about "the next big thing" is about as funny as our Grandparents talking about how nothing would be better than "The Lawrence Welk Show". Come on.

Big Al Z and pak1001 like this.
  12. hellbender

hellbender Member

The only other phenomenon I've witnessed was Alanis Morisette, that even came close to the instant appeal created by the lads.

Not comparing their skills, just the reaction from the public.

pickaguitar likes this.
  13. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

Boy bands, New Kids and all that crap was all the rage... same with today.. jonas bro's like mentioned above. Seems that's the only way to achieve mass hysteria.

Old Guy likes this.
  14. pickaguitar

I think country music has hijacked American women's false sense of everything. Country is in charge like it or not...imo

(The formula utilizes everything they wanna hear and it makes me wanna run for the hills)

adolan likes this.
  15. murraythek

murraythek Member

Boom. There is the correct answer. Too many old farts on here lamenting the past and how it will never be as good. Anything could happen at anytime.

16. BobbyS

BobbyS Member

Most likely, the answer to your question would be legalization of certain illicit substances- greenery and the trippy stuff.

The music that is hailed as the top of the Beatles' output often built on altered states of consciousness and brought people more than just notes- it brought elements of mystical experience and a sense of being part of the larger unknown. Without those elements, you just have more rock bands- not wonder, awe, and inspiration. I don't think that it's a coincidence that most of what musicians consider to be the "best" music happened at a time when laws were permissive of these things.

adolan, Ginglymus and pickaguitar like this.
  17. pickaguitar

If the internet blows up...then you have a chance possibly

Dr. Tweedbucket and murraythek like this.
  18. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

It's not going to happen in Music ever again - but it is happening with YouTube Stars...PewDiPie just went over 100 million
    Subscribers. When he makes an appearance anywhere - people go completely ape sh*t. And music is reaching a new low -
    there isn't a commitment to any particular band or musician - streaming has insured that the devotion of the old days (like the
    Beatles era) is long gone and unsupported.

pickaguitar likes this.
  19. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Hip-hop already did this, about 30 years ago.

:hide2

misterturtlehead likes this.
  20. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Oh, The Hip Hops! :idea Yeah, I think I heard of them :huh ... didn't they break up after the first gig though? :cry: