What would Mozart say........

Vishnu

on hearing a smoking, foot stomping, cooking, up tempo swinging Jazz outfit?

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
“That noise! What is it with these young’uns? Don’t they recognize good music?”

Blanket Jackson

Every day is like Tio's birthday
Gold Supporting Member
Well, Mozart was European ....
Steppenwolf (Hermann Hesse) said:
"From a dance hall there met me as I passed by the strains of lively jazz music, hot and raw as the steam of raw flesh. I stopped a moment. This music, much as I detested it, had always a secret charm for me. It was repugnant to me, and yet ten times preferable to all the academic music of the day. For me too, its raw and savage gaiety reached an underworld of instinct and breathed a simple honest sensuality. I stood for a moment on the scent, smelling this shrill and blood-raw music, sniffing the atmosphere of the hall angrily, and hankering after it a little too. One half of this music, the melody, was all pomade and sugar and sentimentality. The other half was savage, temperamental and vigorous. Yet the two went artlessly well together and made a whole."
https://www.allaboutjazz.com/jazz-and-the-wolf-by-marithe-van-der-aa.php

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
The biggest issue is syncopated rhythms, isn't it? Melody shouldn't be an issue. Harmony he may disagree with some choices, but he speaks that language. But rhythm - I have no idea: was there exposure to syncopation in Europe through any folks musics or other sources?

I think that would blow his mind the most. Whether he would embrace it or reject it, I have no idea.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I once saw a Nigel Kennedy concert where he played a series of sections of Bach solo violin sonatas, each time gradually adding a swing and bringing in an eastern European folk band, and then morphing it into a Fats Waller tune at the end. It was ace!

Mayo5

Silver Supporting Member
He'd probably repeat all of the same ignorant phrases that you see being posted in the BE/ACL threads.

Spider Mark

Syncopation has been in European music since madrigals (Trecento), Bach's 4th Brandenburg Concerto. And Mozart used it in Symphonic compositions etc. Not jazz, of course, but Mozart did some "cultural appropriation" a la Turka and was legendary for improvization.

Did Beethoven create ragtime with his 31st piano sonata?

Last edited:
Reactions: DC1

Trending Topics