What would The Edge do at the neighborhood blues jam?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by squeally dan, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

They were also smart enough to limit their output to 14 albums in 40 years..
    Yes I think we acknowledge U2 is a great band.. with their own unique sound... but there has been a lot of great bands with unique sounds..
    Steely Dan
    The Greatful Dead
    The eagles
    Fleetwood Mac. Etc etc...
    Hell the Beatles put out 13 studio albums in 8 years..

Point is U2 is a great band but not something in a league of there own minus longevity on 14 records.. which is something more than talent

Obviously this is just one persons opinion.

2. Steve1216

Steve1216 Supporting Member

Pure idiocy. Almost every single word. Also some wild assumptions. You even managed to wiggle in the ‘he’s popular, so that means he’s great/you’re just jealous’ tgp trope. Good job!

‘Exponentially better than anyone posting here’. Lol. I’d like you to give me a detailed ranking of every single person’s skill level that posts on this board. Stat.

Thumpalumpacus, mlongano and 2HBStrat like this.
  3. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

He might play the usual tunes with his own take. That could be refreshing.

4. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

And, managed to pile up 22 grammy's along the way, more than any other rock band in history.

When it comes to the combination of album sales, grammy's, longevity of the original band members and touring success over decades ... U2 stands alone and there's no one else that's really even close.

Funky54 and 5cr33nager like this.
  5. sonic1974

sonic1974 Member

I don't agree with the premise that how well you play the blues should be a yardstick of your guitar abilities.

Not a shot against blues at all. Tons of great types of music out there and room for different kinds of guitarists.

6. 7soulmates

7soulmates Silver Supporting Member

I wonder if the Edge would wear tan pants to the neighborhood blues jam?

JB_SC and Dinosaur Sr. like this.
  7. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

Again, not arguing the fact that they ar a great band...
    just don’t think they are the greatest, because there is no such thing as the greatest when it comes to music... it’s not a sport

Also Grammy wins mean nothing when it comes to music, Grammy wins equal popularity and record company influence ( at times ) and there is a lot of popular music, that won Grammys that is frankly garbage...

Thumpalumpacus and mlongano like this.
  8. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

I don't think they're the greatest band in history nor are they my personal favorite. My point is that when you look at the really important data points that equal success, U2 kinda stands alone if you factor in the longevity of the original band members. That's actually what I find most remarkable about them is how the original 4 stayed together through extreme levels of fame. There's no other band that has done that and stayed as popular as they did. It's a very unusual and unique aspect of their success. For about a thousand reasons, it's extremely difficult for the same 4-5 guys that made that first breakthrough album to stay together and manage to maintain Tier 1 touring status for decades.

Thumpalumpacus and 5cr33nager like this.
  9. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Right?!?

Well, clearly, the Neighborhood Blues Guy would just turn on the delay and let it do all the work, since that’s so easy, right?

Every time I hear the tired old “he just uses delay because he’s lazy” thing here I want to puke. Ok Blooz Dentist, fire that delay up and let’s hear your version of Streets. Ugh.

I also find it amusing that TGP, land of unnecessary gear, would bash the Edge, arguably the biggest gear head out there.

JukeBoxRat, JB_SC, 5cr33nager and 2 others like this.
  10. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

I was on the floor at Soldier Field about 20 feet from the band on the 360 tour. All four of them are the real effin’ deal.

11. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

A more interesting question might be: what would the neighborhood blues jam do if the Edge showed up one day?

Someotherguy and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  12. WordMan

WordMan Member

It’s a bit surreal to view The Edge from our tan pants perspective.

“Ah, but could be play Brown Eyed Girl with the backing band at the church social Cabaret?!”

I bet he could play at his kid’s elementary school just fine.

Ah, could he show up at the office that one Thursday night where Bill from accounting sets up his keyboards, and that guy in shipping brings his drum set?

13. Dinosaur Sr.

Dinosaur Sr. Member

No way he could do it. I'm sure he'd try, but 5 minutes in he'd run out of Blues licks, slip up and play something enjoyable.

Alchemist XP, Funky54 and 2HBStrat like this.
  14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

So...Grammys are GOOD now? Let's all remember this on the next Grammy thread when "the Grammys suck" is posted...

Thumpalumpacus and Hackdog69 like this.
  15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

So?...who isn't, at that level, "the real effin' deal?" This thread is just about whether Edge can play da blooz....

16. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

Blues playing may not be his style, but if he brought his style to a blues jam, wouldn't that add to the style overall? B)

I could see his throbbing, rhythmic chops adding a heck of a sound to it!

Alchemist XP likes this.
  17. Funky54

Funky54 Member

He would ride his pterodactyl they’re bringing his EchoPark guitar with its weight card to present at the door.

tnvol likes this.
  18. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

Move in mysterious ways

19. NotTheArrow

NotTheArrow Member

Blues jam? Ugh.

I’m pretty confident that if he were subjected to that blues jam garbage he’d perform much better than Steve Vai at a blues jam.

You ever see one of those disasters? Yikes!

20. NotTheArrow

NotTheArrow Member

Oh, and I love Vai. He’s one of my favorites.