What would the effect be if...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by BluePat, Feb 24, 2009.

1. BluePat

BluePat Member

I trace the purple wire that runs from the presence control, through the circuit board to the 8 ohm output lug, and soldered it to the 16 ohm one? Would there be an increase/decrease in gain, or an adjustment in tonal range?

I understand there is a relationship between NFB and the various OT taps with respect to overall gain, but how does the presence control fit in to this relationship?

Pat

2. elkym

elkym Member

Ooo, technical stuff... I'd like an answer to this one, too.

3. tybone

tybone Member

The Presence control sounds like it is just a variable resistor in series with the NFB loop. The VR just lets you adjust how much of the output signal is fed back. So if you changed the tap from 8 ohms to 16 you will Increase NFB and as a result Reduce the overall gain of the amp.

My story and sticking to it.

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

Yup, changing the NFB to a higher ohm lug will increase the NFB, which will slightly reduce gain, and tighten up the whole amp a bit.

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

6. hasserl

hasserl Member

7. CopperTop

CopperTop Member

Yeah same thing here

8. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

Sorry about that webpage. It seems to dissappear some cyberspace every now and again. Too bad, because it describes the individual sections of a Marshall circuit, and their tonal variations and suggested mods