What would you add to the ADA GCS-2 and GCS-3?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tholt, Nov 1, 2016.

What would you add to the ADA GCS-2 and GCS-3?

1. 1. British and American speaker types

44.0%
  2. 2. Stereo IN and Stereo OUT

42.0%
  3. 3. Phantom Power compatibility

18.0%
  4. 4. Level control

40.0%
  5. 5. Phantom Powered (no AC adapter)

14.0%
  6. 6. Selectable MIC (for example, SM57 or 421)

36.0%
  7. 7. Other (describe below)

10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tholt

tholt Member

ADA is conducting a poll over the next couple weeks to find out what new features you guys would like to see added to our GCS-2 and GCS-3 guitar cabinet simulators. Feel free to make suggestions below.

GCS-2
    [​IMG]

GCS-3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pao likes this.
  2. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Ahoy Tholt!

I d definitely be looking for more cab sim voicings!

Btw, think about re-engineering the two products in a single unit - consumers often reject products when they are faced with (technical) dilemmas in favor of a third one that seems to be more generic but marketed as "got you covered" .

Good luck!

3. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Headphone output on the GCS-2 for use as a pedalboard silent practicing device would be nice. I use my Torpedo CAB at home all the time for this because of the headphone out.

apoyando and 4b454e like this.
  4. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

Oh, plus one for the headphone out.

I've just started looking at cab sims for silent practicing and am about to pull the trigger on a GCS-2.
    Want stereo, don't want to buy two, and can't justify Torpedo CAB - stereo plus headphone out would be killer!

MetalGuitard likes this.
  5. jomazq

jomazq Member

I would go to be able to use it as a load box. I have 4 8 and 16 ohm amps that i would like to be able to practice with the power section in the sound. The headphones out on the gcs 3 already helps allot with practice. But, the only wish list item I have for these boxes is being able to have an adjustable load box for my amps.

mowatsmith likes this.
  6. Avinash

Avinash Member

1. Stereo with balanced outputs
    2. Runs IR (stereo and simulates pre-amp + power-amp)

4b454e likes this.
  7. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

Stereo in/out would clinch the deal for me. I know there are some IR loaders that have stereo capability (EPSI and AMT Pangea, I think?) but I don't know of any stereo analog cab sim boxes. And of course, there are a lot of stereo DI boxes (I'm using one) without cab sims. If you're running stereo to both FOH and to on-stage amps, then you need the dual cab sims for the balanced outs to FOH and a separate no cab-sim pass-through for the stage. Buying 2 boxes to do this is inconvenient. Having a level control to adjust the cab-sim FOH signal would be a nice feature, and one control for both balanced outs would be fine.

EDIT: Forgot one thing -- if stereo, then a "merge" or mono switch would be handy to combine the L/R inputs into a mono balanced output for those times when you only get one feed to the house mixer. Sort of like what I have now in a Rapco/Horizon STL-1 DI, although that box doesn't have any cab sims (which is why I intend to replace it!).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Pao likes this.
  8. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I liked the GCS-3 when I had. Am actually reconsindering it, but if there is going to be an update to it, I may wait. My thoughts are maybe some more EQ / level functionality as well? I guess that might be the british vs american question asked. If there is an update...any projected dates?

9. dvstec

dvstec Member

Hey! I love my GCS-3 I use it in conjunction with a ADA APP-1 - The main thing I want is a level control on the output. The most common thing I get told where ever I plug in by the FoH Techs is that I'm slamming them with signal, I used to use a Palmer PDI-09 and it had a pad on the output (-15/-30db) and that was cool. No matter what I do it seems to be more then line level (Even when I turn down the master on the APP-1) and the input Pad just kills the signal.

[​IMG]

10. Spankyrigor

Spankyrigor Member

Sold my GCS3 a while back; I miss it. :( I use a Torpedo CAB now, which has a few more options tonally, but I loved that the GCS3 could be used as a DI Box in a pinch. Probably getting one again at some point.

11. ssonar

ssonar Member

I'd love for it to have headphones and battery power.

If I could use it as an occasional travel headphone amp I'd pick one up.

12. mowatsmith

mowatsmith Member

This. Oh my god, this. Going direct from a head to the GCS to an interface.

13. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

I like a bunch of these suggestions - more cab voicings, stereo w/mono sum setting, variable-ohm load box - all of those would be great. Additionally, I'd request a bit more EQ adjustability overall, along the lines of the DSM Noisemaker OmniCabsim Deluxe. This could be done a number of ways, when adding cab voicings, you could also add speaker choices (Ceramic vs. AlNiCo, for example).

14. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Dude...that DSM looks kind of like what I'm looking for. NICE! Have you tried @Nevil Bamshoot

15. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

Unfortunately not, haven't ever encountered one to give it a try yet. Rogue Guitar Shop advertised them at one point, the only place I've seen them for sale, but they were excluded from all recent sales, and now they are only available for pre-order, with a 1-2 week wait time. They look really nice! But I don't have an extra $200+ laying around at the moment. I gotta sell some old pedals!

16. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I use GCS-2s but I think this will apply to the 3 as well.

Just to expand on my vote. I play through a variety of house boards. Many have a single phantom power switch so it is either on for all or off for all channels. As you guys know, XLRing into phantom power messes with the box output. If someone else needs phantom, it forces me to use the 1/4 out. At minimum, having filtering on the XLR, would mean I'd get the benefits of the balanced out and everyone that needed it could run phantom power. Of course powered via phantom power would be even better but I know that different boards handle phantom power differently in terms of available voltage and current so that may affect the viability. FWIW, you may or may not recall, I had to contact you to find out for sure that phantom power was causing my XLR issues. If you don't make it at least compatible, it wouldn't hurt to emphasize no phantom power in the manual (hey I never look at the bottom of the pedal!). I am kind of amazed this falls out so low on the vote...

As for my other vote, level control, I have had problems with not having enough output to some boards (mainly the Bose...stuff), and also sometimes I have to bump the mixer input gain up so much that I get hiss. Either variable input gain and/or output gain would probably help find a sweet spot that minimized the self noise.

I have gigged a GCS-2 many, many times as a no amp direct output to PA solution as well as a cabinet mic solution when I still used an amp for stage volume. Sound men like it and managed volume rooms love it. Currently I have one in the effects loop of my OTS 20 and keep it available for house sound and another on my Ethos preamp board for a no amp setup. Solve the phantom power thing and give me gain control tools to help manage noise and I'll be good to go. And make it less noisy overall! For my use, the EQ is adequate and there are about the right number of adjustments to allow fine tuning and minimize option overload.

hunter

17. Otter351

Otter351 Member

I voted for selectable mic types but power tube simulation might be pretty cool. I've been running my MP-1->T100S exclusively for the past 25+ years and I just bought a MP-1-Channel and GCS-2 to see if I could save my aging back. Love the new pedal through my tube amp and cab but the cab sim to PA is just missing a bit of something. Perhaps selectable 6L6 / EL34 voicing could add a bit of mojo to the rig.

18. Egnodin

Egnodin Member

Half rack format
    Line Level Bal Input

19. Pao

Pao Member

Voted for:
    1. Selectable speakers
    2. Stereo ins and outs
    4. Level control
    6. Selectable mics

Of the four I voted for, level control would be the most important, followed by stereo ins and outs (which would just be convenient for recording with stereo pedals, so I won't have to keep switching pedal orders just to get the stereo effects). Selectable speakers and mics I'd probably select the one I like the best then leave it there forever. Maybe even just a dipswitch option for the mic would be enough since I doubt people would want to change that on the fly.

Other than that, I've always had the ADA GCS on my list of pedals to buy (need to replace my current cab sim). I really like the ins and outs of the pedal, especially the fact that it has an XLR output, and a parallel out.

Thanks for conducting this survey! A good question to ask is: Should I hold off and wait for the updated pedal or should I get one now?

20. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

One more thing re the stereo option (if you elect to do that) is that I wouldn't expect dual controls for all parameters. That is, the same option for cab type, speaker size and mic placement would be fine for both the L and R sides. I imagine the real trick with this is fitting it all into one box about the same size as the current offerings, so obviously some tradeoffs are necessary.