What would you choose...Vibroverb oder Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MEL_P, May 17, 2006.

1. MEL_P

MEL_P Member

Hi,
    wow it's been a long while without TGP, I almost got mad!:NUTS
    :eek:
    I was just curious what you would choose if you went to a pawn shop, saw a beautiful Super Reverb asked for the price and the manager said he had another amp, a Vibroverb. Both good condition, 300$ (O.K. maybe a bit "underkill") and original Pre-CBS Blackfaces. But you can only take one!

15" Power, or Super Balls,
    smaller and "handy", or large and heavy.

Hard decision!

:RoCkInMel

2. -kk-

-kk- Member

i'm big on 15", and have serious gas for a vibroverb

3. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

The only difference is the speakers and size. I would probably go for the vibroverb but you should just buy both.

4. Amptramp

Amptramp Member

Wow that's a steal on those. What city are you in? :JAM

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

Vibroverb if forced to make a choice. The guy I play with has one as his main amp - very sweet. Supers are nice too. I'd have to buy both.

6. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

If you can't buy both, which of course you would in a second at that price, I'd definitely go for the Vibroverb. Vibroverbs from that era are selling for at least $1000 more than Super Reverbs from the same era. Both are great amps.

What did you say the name of that pawn shop was?

:p

Dan

7. TimH

TimH Member

wow I got the impression that this is a hypothetical scenario guys. if it's not he's a lucky SOB. If it is I'd say I pick the super just cause they're cooler.

8. Don L

Don L Member

If I were an exclusive Strat player, then maybe Vibroverb. If I play buckered guitars too, then probably Super.

9. MEL_P

MEL_P Member

That's what it is! I am never so lucky and if I were, I would'nt discuss it, I'd just buy both for that price!:D

That was a heavily-discussed topic on a German speaking Forum.
    Anyway, maybe it's an advantage that some (or all?) of you thought it's true.
    In the German Forum, most of the users choose the Super. Strange! And many said that a Pro Reverb would be their "first class" amp if not a Super.

Seems to be an interesting topic...

Mel, who hasn't been to a pawn shop lately :p;)

10. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

I've owned both a '64 Super Reverb, and a '64 Vibroverb. I thought the VV nailed the whole "El Mocambo" thing much better.

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

If you've got a 15" JBL in there, it's gonna be a little smaller, but just about as heavy as the Super with 4X10s.

In their original forms, I'd take the Super over the Vibroverb. I've read alot about how the original trannies for the VV aren't beefy enough ... many of the rebuilt Vibroverbs use upgraded trannies.

I have a Vibroverb with 15" JBL, and love it dearly. It's a Bandmaster chassis, built into the VV cab. With the JBL, I can crank it up full, and it barely breaks up. Then hit it with a Red Snapper or other OD, and wow! Total SRV.

But I still lust for a Super. There's a difference, it's subtle, but it's there. I can't put it into words for the life of me. I listened to LeonC playing a Reissue Super this past weekend, and I wanted to buy it, right there.

I've not been that impressed with the reissue Vibroverb with the SRV mod. I prefer the reissue Supers ...

12. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

+1 Mikey

There's something going on with the 2ohm output of a Super. Hard to put into words, but a good Super Reverb is an amazing amp, and they feel different than other BF Fenders to me because of the 2 ohm output, I think. Not exactly a scientific statement, but that's how it feels to me.

In my experience, a Vibroverb can sound real big - maybe too big in some settings like a small room, fer instance. Especially w/ a JBL 15"...

If it was me, hypothetically, I guess my preference is 60% Super, 40% Vibro, but with all old tube amps, if it's a GOOD ONE, a sterling example of the breed, that trumps everything. A GOOD BF Vibroverb is WAY BETTER than an OK BFSR, and vice-versa.

Dana O.

13. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

My VV had an output tranny from a Twin. Maybe that's why it sounded so good! :dude

14. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

Yep, you got it right. The Supers just have something, hard to pinpoint.

I've always theorized it was the 4x10 config. 12" and 15" Fenders can get flabby when pushed. With the 4x10, you get all of the chime, and this tight warmth and crunch when pushed. Clean, it twangs with the best, with some kind of "funk" edge that just screams FENDER!

15. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

my vote goes for Super Reverb. ive owned 4(2 '67 Blackfaces,1 '68 SF) and my current keeper, a '68 Blackfaced Super with 2x12 baffle loaded with Weber Michigan/Cali's. ive tried 20 or so Supers and several VV's and i like mine the best. the Super has alot of power, sometimes too much and LOUD. i like it past 5 or 6 thats when it starts cookin.

16. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Tough call. I'd probably lean towards the Super Reverb. It likes Les Pauls, 335's and Strats/Teles. Vibroverbs seem to favor Strats (although what a good one does for a Strat is magical) After listening to the late John Campbell's "One Believer" CD (again), I LOVE Super Reverbs. I think it's easier to find a cool Super Reverb vs 15' Vibroverb

my 2 pesos worth anyway

Peace,

jb