1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

What would you compare the Suhr Riot to?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by d.rhoads, May 19, 2011.

1. d.rhoads

d.rhoads Member

Everybody raves about the Riot on TGP, it seems. So I checked out some clips on youtube of it. That thing does sound fantastic.

For those of you who own it or have owned it, what is the circuit based on? What would you compare it to? Does it work best with a clean amp or overdriven? Does it sound good with el84s?

Finally, would you say it is worth the price?

2. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

The skinny:

Supposedly based on a Crunchbox, although with more clipping options and better retention of your dynamics and note decay.

Ideal into a clean amp (headroom not really an issue) but many enjoy it into a breaking-up one. It was certainly designed to make a clean tube amp sound like a stack pushed into distortion.

Its flavor is 8o's arena rock/hair metal, so think JCM800 type marshall sound over a JMP. However, many like it with the gain down a bit.

I would say the majority of Riot owners like it, though there is always one or two in the emporium. The nice thing over say, a Crunchbox, is that you can flip it for around $175 (so a lot closer to full price than the MI pedal).

3. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Both pedals are based on the Guv'nor circuit. The good one (big box British).

4. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I think it works best on a Fender type clean amp personally. I've tried it with a Soldano SP77 (quite Marshally sounding) and it was a bit bright and thin, seems a bit OTT with my Plexi (need more time with this amp though as it's new) but on my other Sherlock preamp which is more Fender/Mesa voiced it just roars.

On the clean channel it sounds quite alot like a Recto to me personally and on an already overdriven channel and turned down it is pretty much metal all the way.

I find it is 'just' a high gain pedal. Doesn't work AT ALL for me in the low gain area but for high gain it is a hoot. It's the best high gain pedal I've heard. Love it.

5. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

I just compared the suhr (which I sold) to my turbo rat the other they are pretty close. Now, I'm wondering if the Riot is just a modded Rat.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  6. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

I use the Riot with a deluxe tweed clone.
    I play a Tele style guitar and you might think that combo wouldn't mesh, but
    it does. It transforms my vintage-y rig into pure Brown-sound bliss.
    I love it. I think the tone knob is useful too, which says a lot.

7. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Slightly OT:

I was considering getting a Suhr Riot for awhile, but they're hard to find used.

I ended up with a Barber Dirty Bomb. I'm quite happy with it for a high gain pedal. They're easy to find used < $100.

Can anyone compare these 2 pedals?

8. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Hi Terry

You got my Dirty Bomb - which was a great pedal. The Riot has way more gain and harmonics.

The Riot and the Wampler Recstortion (replaced by the Triple Wreck) are definite keepers.

Riot is 80's metal, Wampler can do modern metal

9. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

As for pedals to compare it to, (and I'm not saying all the pedals sound the same, but most if not all of them are based on old Marshall pedals and modified from there) here are some other pedals in the same vein:

Wampler Pinnacle
    Wampler Plextortion
    Tonefreak Severe
    CMATMODS Brownie
    BYOC Shredder
    Crunch Box
    Mark V's Shredhead
    Barber DD
    Menatone KOTB
    Marshall Guv'nor (old)
    Marshall Shredmaster (old)
    Wampler Super Plextortion
    Tonebone Hot British
    Lovepedal Purple Plexi
    Carl Martin Plexi Tone

I'm partial to the Wampler pedals and they're at about as high of gain as those pedals get. Some of these have varying amounts of gain but they're all pretty much distortion pedals. They're pretty tried and true designs, all are good pedals. I just feel like Brian Wampler is the master of making these kinds of pedals sound like whatever particular amp or style he wants and his pedals offer more EQ options and toggle options than the majority of which that only have single tone controls. I also think a lot of then sound quite similar (not a bad thing, they should) but Wampler distortions seem to be taken quite far and have their own flavor. Plus, they have enough gain for metal and not all of them do. You get tone, feel, features, and versatility with Wampler. But don't make the mistake of not exploring your options.

10. Sikor

Sikor Member

I have Riot, Crunch Box and had all the other pedals as well.
    Riot sound to me like a better CrunchBox.

But Pinnacle, Brownie and especially Severe are different beast.
    Much smoother, brownier, almost no sizzle.
    I wouldn't put them in the same box with Riot/CB.

11. binge

binge Member

I also have a Riot and a Crunchbox and the Riot sound way warmer and thicker and just better! I use my Riot with a Cornell Romany, which is a Fender Tweed sort of amp. The Riot is the best distortion pedal I have used.

12. ungarn

ungarn Member

Riot = Warren DeMartini inabox to my ears
    Severe is much darker, smoother, more compressed, and as stated no sizzle on high end
    Crunchbox is cranked Marshall, lika JCM900
    All 3 are really good for what they are!

13. tubetone74

tubetone74 Member

Would you include the Jeter Red Shift in this list too?

14. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i have a GH No Brainer & Crunchbox and i thought the same thing
    .....the No Brainer is a way better Crunchbox.

15. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

I didn't say the Riot sounded like all of these pedals. But they're all high-highish gain distortion pedals with a Marshall-esque tone and most of them are based on original Marshall designs. Theyre all different, but they're all the same type of pedal, more or less.

davestrings11 likes this.