Ok, I'm in a band that I've been playing with for over a year now, and that has gigs booked for the entire year, at our current rate, which is, I wanna say around 1200-1300 ish. We have about 2 gigs a month on average at clubs we played all last year (our fee went up $100 from last year) who've rebooked us. Then, we usually will get a lot of other gigs during the summer. But at rehearsal last night, the leader says, there's a room that he's been talking with to get us in there. It wasn't clear if this room wanted us because we're a really great band, or we wanted to get in there because it's a really great room. So the band leader says "What would you guys say if I told you I told him we'd play the gig for $900, and that he told me he may ask us to stop halfway through the gig and only take half the money". So wait, you want me to haul all my gear out, for now, 90 bucks, to play in a place that VERY WELL (based on other band members' experiences there with other groups) may ask us to stop playing halfway through the night and only pay us half (so now I'm as likely to make 45 as I am full pay?). I said no. So did 3 of the other 5 members. But I had to leave, and later I get a text that we're playing the gig (so he got the others to come around). To cap the stack, we just played a place that "wanted us" and when we finished, they didn't want to pay us. They offered up $500 on a 1300 agreement. I did get paid the full amount, but supposedly the leader is pursuing legal action. At any rate, this strikes me as a similar situation. The band leader said "I'd like to open up some new rooms". Well, OK, but why would we want to open up a room that may or may not want us to play the full night (if you agree to that in advance, that gives them the option to do it whether they like us or we're doing OK for them, if they decide they don't want to pay us the full amount). I mean, it's like a "try out". We're established. No other band commands the kind of fee we do for the clubs we play (and we are probably right about to price ourselves out of the market). I don't want to play the gig. I don't want it to be another crap-hole dive like the other place that didn't want to pay us. I could find a sub, but I don't want to be the guy who's always going "well, this gig doesn't suit me, so you'll have to find a sub for it, and I'll come and play only the ones that pay well" (not that I've ever done that before, but you know how people take things and twist them). But to me, it's bad business. Take a gig at a place that you've already given the out to only pay you half, and even if you do do well for them (which they'll be the judge of), you're only getting a partial rate (which they probably still come back and try to reneg on) - and then what? What if we kill, and they want us back, and they agree to the 1300, what's going to stop them from stopping us halfway through (yes, a contract would be nice!) next time, or any time? It just doesn't seem like a good idea just to have some other place to play (not other benefits were discussed, and my experience with this band has been that, when other benefits are mentioned, they never materialize).