• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What Would You Do? (Amp Trade Content)

Jhuttyhut

I own both a Vox AC15C1 and a Vox AC30C2. Love them both. As much as I love my AC30, I don't use it as I often as I used to, mainly because the AC15 just fits better for the gigging that I do these days which consists mainly of a couple of church gigs and some open jam type situations. The AC30 is wonderful, but I haven't turned it on since I played my old band's final gig at a club in early November. Again, I love the amp, but I'm wondering how practical it is at this time. Even if I were to start gigging out more again with a new band, an AC15 mic'd is plenty of juice for local bars and such.

I ran across a local Craigslist add where an individual is looking for an AC30 and is wanting to trade an AC15C1 and a Blackstar HT Club 40 to get one. I don't know if the person wants cash on top of the amps, but let's just assume it'd be a straight trade. Would you do it or even consider it? I'm not incredibly familiar with Blackstar amps, but this one seems to have a Marshall type flavor, which could be cool to have around. As much as I love and use my AC15, it might be nice and useful to have an exact duplicate as a backup. Thoughts? Especially on this particular Blackstar amp?

I'm just wrestling through this and looking for other voices of logic and reason. As we all know, there is always that big "what if?" with gear, even when you are happy with the gear you already have. The last time I got rid of an AC30, I regretted it and bought another one a few years later, but I didn't have a similar AC15 at that time either. Maybe with two ac15's on hand, things would be different?

C-4

After reading through this thread and reading the views of those who contributed, I am reversing my previous post to those of the more knowledgable and rational here who state that you should hang onto the AC30.

They have a good point concerning the Blackstar. If the Vox sound is where you are at, then keep your two Vox amps and call it a day.

Last edited:

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
I wouldn't do it. Imho the ht40 is just good not great and you already have an amp you know you love. Having a backup makes sense if you are on the road but if you did have a problem you could use the ac30 while it was being fixed.

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
Keep the AC30. It's a classic that'll hold value. Blackstars are sort of favor of the month amps that you'll less likely use for longer.

Bob T.

I don't like suggesting what musicians should do with their gear, but since you asked...

Keep the AC30. You already sold one, regretted it, and got it back. Keep it. There is something magical about those tubes, that circuit, that cab, and the 2x12 speakers that deliver a sound that pedals and other amps can try to replicate, but they never capture all of it. And when you do get the chance to turn your precious AC30 up, you'll be glad you still have it :aok

joevacc

I don't think I would do that trade. Two AC15's might be cool but I don't think you would use the Blackstar that much and it would be much harder to sell if you get tired of it.

An AC30 is easy to sell at a reasonable price. If you are really done with the AC30, sell it and get a used AC15 then pocket the difference.

My $0.02
Good luck, I loved my AC15 when I had it.

Jhuttyhut

I had a jam at my place last night and used my AC30. I've decided to keep it. I just love it too much to let it go. I liked the idea of having two separate AC15's and potentially running them in stereo and/or putting a different speaker in one, but in the end, there is just something about the AC30 that I'm not willing to let go. Plus, while I liked some of the demo sounds I heard from the Blackstar, I'm afraid I wouldn't use it enough to justify owning it.

Thanks for all of the opinions and insight. It's much appreciated.

Trotter

I fully agree with everyone else above. Keep the Vox man!

PS: take things to the next level and run your Vox amps in stereo or do a wet/dry rig!

Jhuttyhut

I fully agree with everyone else above. Keep the Vox man!

PS: take things to the next level and run your Vox amps in stereo or do a wet/dry rig!
I've never tried this. It's always been something I've thought would be great, but in most all of the bars I have played locally, that rigbwoild most likely take up a bit too much real estate on stage for it to be a reality.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom