What would you do?..Guitar Center related

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Marshalls Law, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Marshalls Law

Marshalls Law Member

Hi there,

As you might have seen I bought an EVH 5150 III amp head the other day. I hadnt hooked up the footpedal until the other night.

Well it turns out that the footpedal is broken and I cant shut off the effects loop. It stays on and the light is on the whole time. When I try to press it the amp makes a hum noise until I let it go then it stops...

So, I went to GC and brought the footpedal with me to see if it was the pedal or the amp. The footpedal did the same thing with another EVH head so I knew it wasnt my new amp.

I tell the salesguy that I want another one and that I would take the other pedal from the other head they have at the store. They give me some crock story that they cant find the other pedal and that I need to get a new one because they dont have anymore amps in stock at the store.

Well, it's been 3 days and nothing. No info...no calls on it...and I have a broken footpedal with a almost $2k charge on my AMEX.

I called around to other GCs and they do have the amp in stock at other stores. Plus MusiciansFriend has it in stock and said they will match the GC price.

What would you do? Should I give the salesguy the benefit of the doubt that he is working on it (he is a nice guy and works in their high end room).

Or, should I order it from MF and upon arrival with all parts working...return the amp to GC. It's only been since Saturday that I bought the amp at GC.

A friend of mine said "it's just the footpedal...i'm sure you can wait a week or so to get it". Am I over reacting?

Would like your thoughts before I do something I will regret. Thanks

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I can already see this turning into a GC hatefest.

Call the store, and speak to the General Manager. Tell him the situation and tell him you would like him to get you a new one in a box from another store or direct from fender.

He will do that and you will be able to keep your amp until the new one arrives. That is what you should do and it should work out fine for you.

BTW did you try their amps footswitch with you amp?

3. ajchance

ajchance Member

+1. Go beyond the first tier of sales staff. Should be an easy fix.

4. Marshalls Law

Marshalls Law Member

This wont be a GC hatefest from me because I have had great experiences there. The guys at the store are mostly there for years and I like most of them.

So, no bashing here.

Regarding checking their amps footswitch...they couldnt find it...I wanted to take that one but they said it was missing...weird...

5. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

If worse comes to worse and you're still not satisfied, GC has a 30 day return policy. Just bring it back.

Stormin!

6. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

FYI, of course MF will match the GC price....they are the same company. =)

7. cat

cat Member

I think your mate is right and you're overreacting just a tad, however I do see how you'd be mighty peeved after spending 2k on an amp only to get the run around on the cheapest part of the whole deal.

Id give GC a few more days and see how it turns out.

Cat

8. hdahs143

hdahs143 Supporting Member

I don't think you're overreacting at all. I think it's a pathetic excuse for customer service. You bought a $2000 head. The response that they can't find the other switch, smells of BS or a very disorganized operation.
    They could've called Fender the day you returned, provided it wasn't a weekend, and ordered a replacement. At least that way you would have an order# and tracking info.

Speak to the manager, and have him make it right. You seem pretty reasonable to me. They should value that, and take care of you.

9. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I'd really press them on it. They can make it right and get you one from another amp. Seems like more trouble briniging another party in on it. If you've called around to other stores I'd call them out and force the issue. Its like hotels, there's always an open room.

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

That's probably a good suggestion to get things worked out but why should a customer have to escalate an issue that should easily be handled by a front line sales associate? Wouldn't a "platinum salesguy" provide that level of support even if he had to get the GM involved? When you're buying a top shelf piece of gear (and any $2K amp should be considered top shelf), isn't it a bit incongruous to provide a Walmart level of service?
    Let's be honest here. GC has, through its actions towards its customers over the past couple decades, opened up a Costco-sized can of karmic whoopass. I've had my share of good experiences at GC but I've also

• been ignored when trying to make a purchase...more than once
    • had stuff stolen out of the store's lost & found and had the store manager act like it was my fault
    • had a sales person fail to answer a question because he avoided gear that he couldn't afford
    I don't expect a GC sales associate to know my name or make me a deal I can't find advertised some place else. I'm not disappointed that they don't carry esoteric brands.

That said, the recent post that mentioned a GC ad that scoffed at Best Buy's entry into music gear sales is pretty friggin' ironic given that they are the Best Buy of music stores.

11. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I am just trying to direct the OP to the easiest way to get his issue taken care of. That was what this post was about wasn't it?

12. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

Take it back. GC has become the worst. Buy from a store/company that cares about service and will help you.

13. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

The bottom line is they sold you a broken product and have given you no firm plans/dates to make it right. I understand they can't just make a pedal appear out of thin air but they should have been able to give you an ETA on the replacement within one weekday.

If it were me, I'd go back and talk to a manager (maybe phone ahead to find out the mgr's schedule). Explain the situation, don't be too angry. The manager should already be aware of the problem and tell you when the replacement is coming in from Fender. Alternately, they should be able to "buy" the amp & pedal stock from another store and give you the pedal and replace their stock on their own time. By the end of the conversation, you should have a firm date promised when you'll have the replacement. It MUST be within the 30-day return window. If it isn't, simply return the amp because they screwed up and couldn't not make it right quickly and without furthur risk to you.

I've been frustrated with salesguys at GC too but over the years they always made things right for me with everything I bought so I can really complain.

Good luck!

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

So many folks act like ALL GC stores are the same. While similar in style and appearance, I find they all are different and in each store (as is the case in any place) it depends on the salesguy.

I was just in Sanf Francisco with my brother in lay and his family, his son and I were both looking to pick up Les Pauls....didn't know WHICH model Les Paul, but just LEs Paul. The salesguy we got was GREAT. Hw ushered us into a private room, and began hauling in ALL kinds of Les Pauls. He asked pertinent questions (and recall, there are TWO of us looking...we both tried each guitar...my nephew is fairly new to guitar, I've played for 30+ years...he isn't used to trying out guitars, and plays metal-like, I am used to it and play blues and rock) was patient...left us ALONE for periods of time so we could try the 3 or 4 guitars we had to try at the time, and came back...took away the ones we knew weren't it.

It took a few hours, and I never once felt rushed, or fatigued, and we both narrowed it down between either Les Paul Classic '60, or traditional (he siad the traditional...I think it was called, Gibson used a brand new method for making the neck that cut down on buzz...etc. and I liked it best at first but in the end there was more character in the Classic sounds). We both picked the 60 classic (mine subburst, his black).

I was blown over. I have been in GC in Florida in a couple of them, and though I was ready to plunk my money down, no one interested in helping, and a really hectic and unpleasant atmosphere.

So how did the OP story end?

15. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

I'd return the whole amp. Then I'd just get the one
    from MusiciansFriend for the same price. I've had
    much better experiences with them than I've had
    walking into a GC (yes, I know they are the same
    company).

I don't hate GuitarCenter though.
    Most because I stay realistic and
    keep my expectations low. That
    place makes me laugh more than
    anything. I once had a salesman
    try to tell me that that type of
    wood that a guitar is made out of
    has No effect on it's sound! Priceless.

16. DaBreeze

DaBreeze Member

Call the store manger, tell him what happened and advise him you will calling amex to reverse the charges if you pedal isn't "found" in 2 days.
    Unfortunately this is what happens when chain stores hire burger flippers!

17. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I would definately give them a call and ask them when you can expect the new footswitch to arrive. If he can't give you a date, just tell them you need it within a week for a tour, otherwise you'll be returning the head for a refund, and pick one up from somewhere else.

A lot of staff at larger stores (not just music ones!) wont do too much to help until you dig your heels in or suggest that you'll be taking your money elsewhere.

I guess the British equivalent of GC is Sound Control (which recently actually went bust) - i've heard real nightmare stories about them, but only ever had positive experiences myself. When i bought an amp from them which i found out had a missing footswitch, the sales assistant gave me a bag FULL of showroom footswitches from other amps (marshall, mesa, crate, etc) and just told me to find one that worked, and return the others while they ordered me the correct one. I must add, they had no real way of getting in touch with me, nor did they make me sign anything - they just showed some trust.

18. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

:agree