What would you do? (Guitar misrepresented by Boutique Guitar Exchange)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarlifestyle, Mar 18, 2015.

1. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I purchased a guitar from Reverb that was listed by Boutique Guitar Exchange in Atlanta. The guitar is a 2006 SRV Strat, and it was listed as "Mint" condition. I asked a few more questions about the condition to get further clarification and was told that "The body has no dings or scratches to speak of" and that the neck was perfect.

I received the guitar today. There's obvious worming on the back, a few dings on the side, and some minor surface marks on the top. It was described as a third backup for a pro player in town and that it wasn't played very much. However, it seems like it was played more than was described.

I paid $1100 for the guitar shipped to me, which I thought was a fair price for a used SRV Strat in mint condition from a retailer.

I'm irritated that they misrepresented the guitar, but at the same time I've played it and it does play well and seems like a nice guitar. The bottom line is, if it was correctly represented, I would not have paid $1100 for the guitar. I might have been willing to pay less, but I'm not sure how much less.

So, what would you do? Return the guitar? Ask for a partial refund? If so, how much? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

3. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

There are a lot of ways to go about this, but if it were me I'd want to get $150 - $200 refund or I'd return it for a full refund.

4. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

5. SmoothRiffs

SmoothRiffs Member

Send them pics ASAP and demand a partial refund. Mint means mint, no blemishes.

6. Last

Last Member

It would piss me off too. Doubt you'll get anything refunded so be prepared to return it.

Another will come along at a better price and better condition soon enough.

Sucks though as you clearly asked and they didn't disclose.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Return it. Thats happened to me as well, and like you, it was the misrepresentation that pissed me off the most, especially when I also spoke with the dealer to really drill down on the true condition.

I'm not one who only wants things in true mint condition, but I certainly want an honest appraisal when it's not. That's certainly the way I represent things to others.

8. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Really depends on the seller. I would air your grievance to them before looking for opinions on TGP. Everyone is assuming the seller will be nasty about it but he/she may just offer a partial refund that would satisfy the buyer completely.

9. THebert

THebert Member

A retailer? If it was a store I would call and tell them you paid for mint and didn't get it. You take your chances when an individual grades an instrument but I would hold a store to a greater standard. I know this doesn't help but I never assume that people use mint correctly. Usually means very good condition.

10. XKnight

XKnight Member

I would request a full refund based on the principle of the matter, but if you really like the guitar a partial refund of $100 - $200 is also appropriate. Please post the name of the retailer so I know to stay away from them. I dislike dishonesty.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

If it sounds great and plays great I would be less inclined to return it.

I don't like throwing the good one back

12. m.e.

m.e. Freelance Bio-exorcist Silver Supporting Member

Agree. I've held onto great guitars that were not quite as described because they, played, felt, and sounded amazing.

On the other hand I completely understand being frustrated about receiving a guitar that is not in mint condition after it was described as being mint.

13. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm mostly just frustrated that even after asking him specifically about the condition, it was reiterated that it was in almost unplayed condition, when it's clearly not. I was specifically looking for one in mint condition, which is why I purchased this one.

14. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

I'm going through the same thing with a Reverb purchase, although a different store. The guitars condition was vastly different than described. I chose to return it. Now I sit and wait until the guitar arrives back at the store before I get my money refunded. What a pain in the arse!

15. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

You just answered your own question. The appearance matters to you. Better send it back.
    If I liked the way it played and sounded, I'd get a partial refund. But that's me. I've owned pretty guitars that weren't players.

16. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

I'd send it back for a full refund.

17. cardinal

cardinal Member

Unless you completely love the guitar as a player, return it for a refund and find another in the condition you really want.

18. footiee

footiee Member

personally i will express my displeasure to them politely and see how they follow up.

i would definitely accept even a small partial refund (50-100) if they are apologetic. if they seems to be pushing around the blame or whatever, i would demand a full refund. frankly, no excuse for them at all, especially when you even went further by clarifying with them prior the purchase.

there are zillions of guitar that play well and from your description, it seems that it plays just how it is supposed to be. wouldnt be hard to find a similar caliber one. there are times where there is a oddball that simply outshine the rest, but it doesnt seem so in this case. i would probably not tolerate any nonsense if their follow up are half arsed

19. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I returned a Moderne because the listing said it was mint and it had all sorts of dings, rust, etc. Luckily, I didn't keep it because I finally found a real mint one

20. PixMix

PixMix Member

Return it and once you get the refund, let them know that you would be leaving a negative/accurate review.