What would you do? (tele content)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fendert, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Fendert

Fendert Member

So I have a 78 telecaster custom (pictured here) that was my fathers. He has left me with two great tele's, 78 custom, and 73 deluxe. I love these things, but I don't play them a ton, mostly because they both need a refret, and a few other things.

I just sold a ton of gear mostly studio stuff to be able to afford an engament ring, and I actually made a little more money than I needed, so now I have an extra $500 sitting in paypal!

here is my question!

I have really been wanting a Japanese 62 ri bound telecaster and I was thinking of having that money go towards it.

But the other option is have all the money go to fixing up the tele custom, but here is all the work that it needs...

New neck pup: the original one died years ago back in the 80's says my dad, and he put in an SD 59 to replace it years and years ago. When I acquired it about 5 years ago I took out the SD pup and put in a replacement WRHB, but when I did this I wasn't a big fan of the sound. It wasn't too long ago that I found out that the RI WRHB are nothing like the originals. So part of that $500 would go a lollar regal.

Re-fret: I needs one thats all I can say...

Neck problems: The neck on here is the most unique shape, and I love the feel, But I think because of the 3 bolt design the neck has lost some intimacy with the neck, and this is a big problem, but I'm pretty sure the guitar tech who I go to can fix this problem.

My only hesitation to pouring money into this guitar is I fear after doing all this work the guitar still will not be up to the quality standars that the MIJ tele would be.

So all in all the big question is, spend the money on the tele custom, or not?

[​IMG]

2. Lonestar Boogie

Lonestar Boogie Member

Toes in the picture, forgot what the question was.

3. Fendert

Fendert Member

.........:facepalm

4. TrainBridge

TrainBridge Member

Put on socks and shoes and fix the guitar.

5. RockDC

RockDC Member

What happened to the old dead pup? You can get those repaired.

This is a BIG issue! Don't take it to a tech you are "pretty sure" can fix it. Do your homework and find the right tech.

For me it comes down to this. You love the guitar but it needs work, so fix it... I didn't know your dad but if hes like mine then he'd want me playing the guitar. You could tell your soon to be bride that you want the reissue tele as a wedding gift so you can have a guitar that always reminds you of her, just like those teles remind you of dad.

- Thats my .02

6. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

If it were me, I would probably have it re fretted at the very least. It may just be one of those guitars you dont bond with. You'll never know until you at least get it playing well.

IMO, the MIJ Customs are far more consistent than the '70's Customs. I have owned 3, and have really only bonded with my current '74. That said, the pickup on the originals are pretty badass. So the Custom is the one with the replaced neck pickup, or the Deluxe?

Get the "dead" pickup fixed.

7. Fendert

Fendert Member

He through the original out thinking it was worthless. Such a fail I know, but he didn't know any better back then.

The tech here is Jacksonville is awesome and kind of legendary. Chip from Chips music. I have spoken to him about this before and he seems confident he can fix it, but I'm still a little freaked out.

8. Fendert

Fendert Member

The deluxe is all original and has the original pups. I relic'd the RI pup