What would you do?

riffmeister

I’ve had a beautiful Collings OM1A since 2004. It sits in its case 99% of the time unplayed. For the last two years I’ve been playing in an acoustic duo using Taylor guitars, at first an 814ce but more recently an Academy 10e. The latter plays and sounds great thru the PA. So my first world dilemma is, do I put a pickup system in the Collings and see how that works with the duo (and of course there are many pickup systems to choose from, put the ‘wrong’ one in and the guitar doesn’t work well in the duo and now the guitar has been physically altered), just hold onto the Collings and let it languish in the case, or sell it. I don’t especially need the money from a sale but an extra couple thousand always would come in handy. There is no right or wrong answer, but what you do?

OM Flyer

If the Academy is working for you, I don't see any reason to risk modifying the Collings just as an experiment.

Personally, I can't imagine owning a guitar that nice and not playing it, even if it's just at home. But as much as I don't like hanging on to things that aren't being used, I can't help but think that you'd eventually regret it if you sold it.

I guess I don't see any harm in just maintaining the status quo.

Ogre

Do you love the Collings? If not, let it go, and replace it with one that stirs your soul.

Bluedano1

Do you NOT play guitar at home?

I have 2 fine acoustics ( budget grade players, of little value to anyone but me) and gig frequently in a duo.
A Martin has the pickup, gets the gigs; but the Blueridge ( no PU, yet) is played at home, daily for hours.
( someday will get a PU for Blueridge and flip flop this!)
So why not play the Collings at home?

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
Would your Collins lose its value by adding a top market pickup?
if not, then I would add it. And gig with it.

Frozen Rat

Platinum Supporting Member
I think that altering the guitar with a quality pickup will only help resale value. Do it. If it were me, I'd be gigging the Collings instead of the Taylors. Just my preference though of course.

muku

Silver Supporting Member
I actually have a no drill holes needed, Schertler sound hole and top 2 channel pick up. But pricey.
or....
K & K and then buy the FELIX preamp.... I recommend a Schertler full range acoustic amp (UNICO) with great EQ and solo boost, reverb etc.... If you don't have a sound system(PA).

Once you get that Collings dialed in I think it will be fantastic.

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Gold Supporting Member
Put a pickup in the Collings and enjoy it. It’s a great guitar, but it’s not a vintage piece worth being overly nervous about.

They are well-made, sturdy, and quite stable - thanks (in part) to a couple of pieces of spring steel in the neck along side the truss rod.

The Adi top will benefit from some serious play time. Gigging will only make it sound better.

stephenT

I gigged w/ an OM1 for a bit, I found it too lively for stage work. That may not make sense but that was my conclusion. I gravitate to cheaper guitars for live work.

redir

It's not going to hurt the resale value if you put a pickup in it. As mentioned above it could even help it. So I say go for it. You don't need the money so you are in no hurry and that guitar is not going to lose value so in the event you do need money then you can get rid of it. Just try it, why not? Otherwise you will sell it and never know.

Paul Rathjen

I don't believe most buyers would consider an added pickup reducing the value as long as its installed correctly. Better yet, use a system that won't require modifications.

If its too expensive of a guitar to risk damage on alone, consider an add on to your home owners with a personal articles policy for theft and damage.

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Gold Supporting Member
If its too expensive of a guitar to risk damage on alone, consider an add on to your home owners with a personal articles policy for theft and damage.
Much cheaper and much better coverage to insure under a musical instrument policy. Covers damage, loss, repair, depreciation, travel, shipping, full replacement value, etc.

For example, Heritage just has premiums - no deductible. Unlike the typical home owners deductible of $500-$1k. You break your ‘64 D28, they pay to repair or replace (your choice), and in the case of repair, they cover depreciation in light of the repair.

Musical instrument coverage is really awesome stuff.

Not to mention, if you gig at all, your home owner’s policy will reject any claim, as it is seen as risk associated with professional use.

Steadfastly

I would put in an L.R. Baggs Anthem. All the modification required is expanding the end pin hole. They are not cheap but the best products usually are not.

Rockerduck

You are a Taylor guitar guy and it sounds good to you. I'd sell the Collings and invest in what you enjoy. I have a 6 month hold on what I buy; if I don't use it, its gone.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
Do you NOT play guitar at home?

I have 2 fine acoustics ( budget grade players, of little value to anyone but me) and gig frequently in a duo.
A Martin has the pickup, gets the gigs; but the Blueridge ( no PU, yet) is played at home, daily for hours.
( someday will get a PU for Blueridge and flip flop this!)
So why not play the Collings at home?
That's kind of my thought. My favorite guitar is my Breedlove USA Concert Moon Light and that's what I play most around the house. I bought it for the studio though and I rarely gig with it. For gigs, I have other guitars that sound just as good plugged in (and I like them too) and that's all good. If the OP likes the way the Taylor sounds live, then where is the need to modify the Collins?

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Gold Supporting Member
If you're worried about what a pickup will do to the resale value of your non-vintage guitar, you should sell it.

Trending Topics