What would you do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Miles, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Miles

Miles Member

If you had the choice, for a working, gigging, player, and you could only have 2 amps....would you?

A:

Have 2 amps of the same type because you knew that they were "your" sound and they worked well. One as a main amp, one as a backup?

or

B:

Have 2 different kind of amps?

Secret motive: I have a 2x12 combo that I love for every gigging situation. It is absolutely incredible. I have a spare 2x12 cabinet and I am considering selling my other head, which is a TOTALLY different sound, to get the head version of my 2x12 combo for a backup amp.

Sidenote: I have a great 1x12 grab 'n go which I will never let go of, but it also never sees a gig...I use it for practice only.

What would you do?

2. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Supporting Member

Two different amps. I'm really into A/B'ing one nasty amp and one not-so-nasty amp through my stereo 2x12 cabinet for gigs, and switching back and forth depending on the situation. If one goes down, I can survive with the other.

3. dave s

dave s Member

My amp strategy is to use amps with really nice, fat clean tones and use pedals to get everything else I need. That said, my gigging amps have to be SIMILAR in nature so the pedals are compatible with both.

Used to play nothing but Fender and Marshalls. All my pedals were compatible with both, for the most part. Then I bought a Matchless and none of the dirt pedals matched up well with it.

Now, my amps are VOX (2) and a Matchless. All pedals are virtually interchangeable among the three amps.

dave

4. Miles

Miles Member

Well, here's my dilemma.

With my gigging amp, I use it overdriven and clean up with my volume knob since the particular band I use it in...However, I also sometimes like to dial in clean and use my OCD. With this, I can use both my amps (black pearl, mesa blue angel) interchangeably like Dave said.

However, I have a really old raunchy sounding head that is cool for some stuff, but I'm wondering if I should let it go to obtain a back up to my Black Pearl, which I use as my main gigger.

My blue angel is staying for sure, and it's a great backup, but the old fender head, I am not sold on.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have two similar amps. One's a 50 watt combo and the other is the 100 watt head version with a 4 x 12. Usually I use the combo, but I'll drag out the half stack for bigger stages sometimes. Either way I sound about the same.

Unless I was in two bands playing very different styles of music, I don't see the point in having different sounding amps and alternating between them.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Good Gosh man! THis is the Gear Page. If you've only got two amps, you're not keeping up! Keep both and buy a 3rd amp that matches one of your others for a backup (but make it a different flavor that's related, say Vox to Matchless, Bogner to Mesa, Hiwatt to Marshall...).

7. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Supporting Member

I go for the backup amp thats the essentially the same. It sucks when your main amp dies at a gig.

8. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Member

Assuming that you kept up the maintenance on them and they werte in fairly good working order I'd get one American inspired design (Fender Deluxe Reverb maybe?), and one British inspired design (Marshall, VOX, Hiwatt, etc..)

9. Miles

Miles Member

10. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am struggling over this one myself. I have an Orange Rockerverb 50 Head and 212 cab that I totally dig. I am considering buying the Rockerverb 50 Combo as a backup, potential stereo rig, home practice, etc. The next minute I think maybe I will buy a Mesa Express 5:25 Head and Cab. Grrrrr.. Decisions.

11. KBN

KBN Member

2 similar amps. That is what I would do.

12. bynt

bynt Member

See it's tough for me because I get it in my head that I want something new (and I'm not rich yet) and I end up getting rid of stuff regardless to fund it. Personally, I like the different sound approach. Right now I'm digging the Tiny Terror but my main amp is a Zinky (el84) and I'm going to start running them in stereo. But, having said that, it's kind of a novelty. I would rather have a good crisp mostly clean amp (Bedrock BC 75) and the Zinky for different stuff. That's just me though.

I've been a Fender amp snob my whole life and wouldn't give other stuff the time of day so the last five years or so have been really cool playing other stuff. I really like how Marc Ford plays damn near anything (although he seems to gravitate towards Marshally sounding stuff he also loves Fenders and their derivitives).

So that's just my story. I like the option of different sounds. And the Bedrock is a 2x12 BEAST (kind of a baseline) and then I can run other stuff with it for stereo or a/b. Sorry for the long post.

13. bilbal

bilbal Member

Good question. I think I would choose to have 2 different amps - one with a nice clean and the other with a nice smooth overdrive. That said, they would each have to be able to achieve close to what the other does too in case one crapped out. Does that make sense? I'm very tired. I hope it does.

However, for a few months I was running identical Dr. Z Maz38Srs with reverb into my stereo Marshall 2x12. Each was set exactly the same. Instead of having one amp running I had 2 for double the power and that stereo depth. It was awesome. I also, for awhile, was running a MazSr and a Route 66 in stereo. THAT WAS THE BALLS!! I want to build that rig again and will at some point. Right now I am just using my new Bogner Shiva head with the Marshall at 8 ohms. I love it but I do miss the stereo "depth" as mentioned before. The current setup is more than enough for my bedroom. I have been out of the whole gigging scene for awhle with my back injury. Eventually, I would like to get back gigging. At that time I will probably find myself back to the Maz/Route 66 rig. I think it was the best stereo rig I have ever heard. I'd like to find a "partner" to team up with the Shiva. Maybe another Shiva or, preferably, a Soldano SLO. OMG that would be a crazy rig wouldn't it?

b