• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What would you do?

What would you do?

• Get another ES-339

• Get a CS-336

• Get an ES-335

• Get your money back

Results are only viewable after voting.
In September I bought a Gibson ES-339, and I loved it. On Christmas eve it developed a big crack emanating from the bass side F hole. It nearly ruined Christmas for me. Took it back where I bought it, and they replaced it with a new one. Apparently it's a known issue.

Ok I'm satisfied. Then less than a month later the new 339 started developing small cracks in the bass side horn. They say they are finish cracks, I say I don't care, it shouldn't happen to an expensive guitar. I know how to care for guitars, and was appropriately careful with this one. Kept the humidity between 45-50 and always allowed for a warm up period when bringing it in from the cold. Also never let it sit near the heater, or in the sun too much.

They say fine we will replace it one last time, but if it cracks this time you're on your own. They also offered me a couple of other options. I can keep that one, or use the money towards another Gibson purchase.

I loved the ES-339, both of them actually, but I'm a little leery of getting another one knowing the potential for cracking.

So I'm thinking of my options. Should I chance another 339, or go with the CS-336? Would the solid top be less prone to cracking? Or is it the dimensions that are the problem, should I go with a full sized ES-335?
Or should I fight and try to get my money back?

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Sounds like they are being generous with you instead of telling you oo go directly to Gibson.

I, but it's a personal thing, would just go to a 335.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Two guitars in a row, and they won't make good on any future ones? ********. Not for that kind of money. Gibson should stand behind their product.

Stringz

get your money back. Buy a vintage 335 that has shown a tolerance for time and temperature.
+1 :p

I would also notify Gibson CS that one of their dealers has threatened you with refusal to honor the warranty on one of their products. You'll see how fast they straighten up and fly right when they get threatened with loss of their distributorship. It is part of the local dealer's job to handle warranty claims within the warranty period.

gtraddict

I would also notify Gibson CS that one of their dealers has threatened you with refusal to honor the warranty on one of their products. You'll see how fast they straighten up and fly right when they get threatened with loss of their distributorship. It is part of the local dealer's job to handle warranty claims within the warranty period.[/quote]

I think this is what I would do

The problem is that I live in Canada. Gibson does not warranty guitars in Canada. The warranty is covered by the Canadian distributor, which is Yorkville. Yorkville is owned by Long & McQuade where I bought the guitar.

rabbuhl

Decide on which guitar your really want. If it is an ES-339 then get your money back and buy another one. Otherwise, get an ES-335 from the store where you bought your ES-339.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
The problem is that I live in Canada. Gibson does not warranty guitars in Canada. The warranty is covered by the Canadian distributor, which is Yorkville. Yorkville is owned by Long & McQuade where I bought the guitar.
What a crock!! Either they stand behind their products or not.
I'm sorry I know that emotional response doesn't help you out. I'd still contact Gibson directly or
I'd ditch it completely, but that's just me. Finding a used 335 sounds like a good idea.

I contacted Gibson when I first bought the guitar to register it for the warranty. I was told that they do not deal with Canadian customers. I had to deal exclusively with the Canadian distributor.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I contacted Gibson when I first bought the guitar to register it for the warranty. I was told that they do not deal with Canadian customers. I had to deal exclusively with the Canadian distributor.
Well I'd tell them that the word is out via the internet and they've just caused 35 million people to consider leaving their customer base.
Given that, I'd get a refund and buy something else. To be truthful I've already done that since both my 339 size guitar and arch top guitar are Heritage models. Again that's just me, but I won't let a company bully me just to have a name on a headstock.

Trending Topics