What would you like to see in an El Cap v3?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by topo morto, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Ok, my suggestion would be to allow use I the new multi switch with the el cap (and other small box units if they updated the entire line). Allow you to customize a few different ways of utilizing it, like up/down bank switches and a preset select switch, or jus three presets, looper controller, external tap tempo + 2 presets, etc.

2. topo morto

topo morto Member

3. XISTH

XISTH Member

4. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I think Strymon needs to put at least 3-5 user presets on their smaller pedals. That and USB or Bluetooth for updating.

5. Grenville

Grenville Member

El-Cap Mini - no tap tempo, smaller box size but all the tone.

EDIT: waitaminnit-what's that a couple of posts up? I was actually thinking closer to favorite switch size, but...

6. treehouse1441

treehouse1441 Member

Tap Tempo Input ON THE BACK

7. treehouse1441

treehouse1441 Member

Nothing. Cuz then I'll convince myself I need another pedal.

8. deadlands

deadlands Member

Favorite pedal. Just use it to turn the reverb on and off.

jurfin likes this.
  9. topo morto

topo morto Member

Wouldn't that only work if all the settings in the 'favourite' were the same as the current 'knob' settings apart from the reverb level?

10. deadlands

deadlands Member

This is the first I've heard that the tap-tempo "issue" was "fixed" in the El Cap. I don't think this is true. And if it was I'd be upset. I was already a little ticked that they updated to soft switches without an upgrade or trade-in option for v1 owners.

As for the hypothetical v3, I like the idea of switchable preamps. A Normal, EP3 and Space Echo switchable preamp would be awesome. Maybe a USB port to backup settings would nice or have a basic preset and midi implementation for program change. I'd also like to see the algorithm tweaked with better EQ control of the repeats. I find the current algorithm can never nail that EP-3 sizzle on the repeats with the low-contour and tape age controls, there needs to be more control over the high-end to get closer to a real tape echo sound.

I spent a few hours with a SSTE and tried to setup the El Cap to sound as close as possible, and I could only get about 80% there because the low-end contour, bias and tape age combo just couldn't dial in the high-end right.

If we lived in an alternate universe, I'd really like the Belle Epoch algorithm in the El Cap. But that is just a dream.

11. deadlands

deadlands Member

Yes, that's the only draw back. But it's easy enough to save a favorite on the fly. (you just hold down the bypass button for a few second to save a preset). It's not ideal, but it's workable.

A better way would be an expression pedal or expression switch and just use it to control the Reverb knob. But they don't let you do that since you can't control secondary functions with expression.

12. topo morto

topo morto Member

I can absolutely promise you that on the one I had, i found no issue with using the tap-tempo causing it to cut out. And I played with the tap tempo A LOT.

If Strymon confirm that there's never been an El Cap made that glides to the new tempo, then I will accept.... that I live in an alternate universe, and I'll keep an eye out for your Belle Capistan there too!

13. Stratogatto

Stratogatto Member

I start feeling Strymon stuff without MIDI, firmware updates and other advanced features a little bit out dated if I look at what other "smart" companies like Neunaber and Source Audio do.

Sentenced, topo morto and Gibs210 like this.
  14. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Some of these suggestions are so completely ridiculous they take away from any good ideas mentioned.

15. topo morto

topo morto Member

Fixed.

Or did you mean non-humorous ones? Which ones are ridiculous?

16. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

No, I meant ridiculous. There is a difference between making an upgrade and designing a whole new pedal. Spend 11 minutes watching this video, then re-read this thread. You'll laugh...at both.

17. deadlands

deadlands Member

This is a hypothetical wish list for a v3 version and not a very important thread. Not sure why you felt it necessary to inject your self-righteousness here.

Gibs210 likes this.
  18. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

Midi so I can have some presets and use one expression pedal for everything

Sean413 likes this.
  19. turtleboy3

turtleboy3 Member

When did the version 2 come out in the market?

20. topo morto

topo morto Member