What would you pay for a bassman 135??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Antihero, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Antihero

Antihero Member

What would you pay for a silverface Bassman 135 in beat condition with the monsterous 2x12 cab? The jewel light is broke and the tolex on all the corners is peeling back, but its been retubed recently and all the knobs are still there. The cab is in a bit better shape but not by much.

Or should i just wait for a decently priced ampeg v4 instead? Im kinda looking for the slammed with a fuzz stoner rock sorta sound out of either.

2. Antihero

Antihero Member

So no help for the not-very-knowledgable-in-fender-amps Antihero??

3. fakeox

fakeox Member

No verb on the fender.. Got a big vehicle & strong back?

4. anibas

anibas Member

If everything works well,including the speakers,I'd say $300 to $375,tops.This is if the sound of it really works for what you're going to use it for-might want to try out your pedals with it first.Very loud and clean,to say the least.V4's would work out great for the style of music you suggested,but it's best to buy one that's had all the repairs done to it if possible.

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I'd say $375 was generous.

6. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Somewhat hard to lift, and equally or more difficult to sell. A friend had one of those head and cabinets back in the '80's and it didn't impress for guitar. He ended up borrowing my drip edge Bassman 50 and using a much more compact bandmaster cab. I'd pass unless it was given to me, then I'd donate it to a young bass player or something.

7. Antihero

Antihero Member

Thanks for all the replies, i think ill just wait for a V4 and in the mean time try some fuzzes with my RedBear mk60 and see if i cant get close to what i want.

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    My back is aching just thinking about lifting that amp...

9. openbar

openbar Supporting Member

Those tall 2x12 cabs aren't terribly heavy, but they sure are bulky. I'd say wait for the V4, it sounds a lot better, especially in the low end.

Then again, a friend's band uses 2 of them for guitar, they get a pretty cool swampy sound out of them. Almost sounds like the amps are broken but they make it work.

10. Antihero

Antihero Member

I actually already have one that someone swapped v30s into and replaced the grill cloth and i agree on the not so heaviness.

The guy didnt want to sell them apart and that frankly makes the deal much worse anyway, so v4 for me it is.