• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What Would You Put in Your Guitar Room?

ked

I'm making plans to make a guitar room man cave out of one side of my garage. Looking for opinions on the flooring. It will be laid on a concrete slab. I was thinking that if I put down tile or laminate flooring the room would have an echoing, hollow type of sound. If I used capet it would definitely be warmer and less sound bouncing off the walls. What would be your preference in a room like this?

Thanks,
Ken

kak1154

Does it connect to the house, and are you in a place that has seasons? My first thought - having a basement man-cave myself - is that your feet will be colder with tile or laminate. Acoustically, my guess is that carpet would be better as well.

ked

The garage is connected to the house. We don't have bunch of extremely cold weather down here but the slab will definetly get cold as the winter goes on. The room will be insulated and I'll add a vent to connect it to the central air and heat for cooling and heating.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I'm mulling over redoing my basement as well - I've been considering staining the concrete to look like marble and then putting down rugs/carpet to define different areas.

Tracer Tong

In a guitar oriented room, think about acoustic treatments to make it epic. It's surprising how much of a difference can be made with relatively little in the way of room treatment.

I would keep the floor as hard as possible, and add furniture or sound proofing as needed. Carpeting a music room, in my opinion, takes away low end, especially if your amp is on the ground or really close to it.

If I had my choice, I'd have hardwood floor with area rugs and furniture to warm/tighten things up.

You can always adjust your rig for its surroundings, but from my experience, give the sound as much freedom as possible, then rein it back as you see fit.

Enjoy you cave!

mikeman

Wood. A lot of guys who build studios in their home like Levon Helm, Darryl Hall have wood all over the place and use rugs where they need them. If you stick with carpet you have no options. Good for live performances and recording

Levon's Studio

theanalogdream

Silver Supporting Member
Ditto on the hardwood and rug.
What is a studio without a good persian rug? lol a classic for sure...

Wood. A lot of guys who build studios in their home like Levon Helm, Darryl Hall have wood all over the place and use rugs where they need them. If you stick with carpet you have no options. Good for live performances and recording

Levon's Studio
Everytime I see that studio I can't help being reminded of The Black Crowes last album...AMAZING.

ked

Thanks for the information and differing points of view, much appreciated. Keep 'em coming.

Ummm...guitars? :banana:crazyguy

Is this a trick question?:huh
Damn, I've been found out.:)

Guitarzandstuff

Gold Supporting Member
I did as someone said above... Stained the concrete and then sealed it in poly. Would do it the same way again!!

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I did as someone said above... Stained the concrete and then sealed it in poly. Would do it the same way again!!
Would probably have sounded better if you'd sealed with nitrocellulose instead of poly. Just don't drop any cigarettes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom