What would you use to replicate the lead ch. on Boogie Mk4>>>

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The Gainster, Dec 8, 2019.

1. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

... I still looking. I sold my Mk4 cause I don't play that loud now and don't need to carry that much wattage anymore.

2. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, with any of your favorite booster type pedals in front, Treble Booster, Tube Screamer, OCD, etc, really makes a huge difference and suddenly the tones and sustain are there.

Tmidiman and The Gainster like this.
  3. darkdaysindeed

darkdaysindeed Supporting Member

I’ve read people describe the Neunaber Neuron as being similar to the MK IV gain structure and sound. It’s been 20 years since I had MKIV so I can’t really comment absolutely as to whether they are similar or not but I can say that the Neuron is awesome. It can do clean up to heavy gain, rhythm or lead. Plenty of sustain and you can dial in a tight, smooth sound. With the onboard compressor and alternate controls I honestly believe you could get the MKIV lead sound out of it. Plus, it has a built-in speaker cab simulator that can be enabled or disabled depending on your needs.

The Gainster likes this.
  4. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

I've not heard of this pedal... sounds great... I am looking into the Dover Drive as well. Seems to have the gain and I have pedals to augment the DD. Thank you

yawiney likes this.
  5. TimmyPage

TimmyPage Member

The Mark series have a pretty unique gain structure, and I haven't heard any pedals truly nail it yet. That being said, I'd like to know what kind of music you used the Mark IV for as that could give some better recommendations.

If it's rock/metal, then going digital (AxeFX, Helix, Kemper) is the best way to go, all three of those units can nail 'that' Mark tone.

There is also the option of getting the Mark V:25. It's not perfectly the same as the Mark V (EL84 vs Big bottles) but it does an amazing job at more reasonable volumes.

If you're looking for the Santana-esque side of things then there are a ton of pedals that will do smooth/fat gain. My general suggestion to any drive thread is always the Wampler Dual Fusion for smooth, warm leads, or the Suhr Eclipse for higher gain, searing leads.

The Gainster likes this.
  6. JimHalinda

JimHalinda Member

I like my Mesa Flux Five, that is their ‘Mark’ sounding pedal (the Throttle Box is more Recto-flavored).

plan-x likes this.
  7. darkdaysindeed

darkdaysindeed Supporting Member

No problem. Neunaber does have a Mesa styled clip on their website. Not sure exactly what it is supposed to be but it definitely sounds more MK than Recto to me.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0429/0425/files/Neuron-Demo-Mesa.mp3?29

david(j) likes this.
  8. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

+1 :aok

9. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

Atomic Firebox

source: own one, and own a Mark IV

also @The Gainster ... why the ****** would you have sold a mark iv ... its a Grail for a lot of us :)

10. JJCrowe

JJCrowe Member

Forget pedals, Mark V:25 or Mark V:35 is the answer, and any mesa cab with the C90 speaker.

:rockin

11. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Member

Sansamp GT2 in california mode, one of the only pedals I've used that gets close to the Mesa MK sound

12. JJCrowe

JJCrowe Member

13. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

I don't need that power and definatly don't need to carry around 70+ lbs of amp... I played the proto here in Charleston SC years ago and bought one asap... never used anything but the Chandler Echo... people would ask what pedals I used and I would tell them" just the one that came with the amp"... I put a not JBL K120 in her and she excelled. It is with a great friend so she hasn't gone too far!

14. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Not enough gain to get me to the lead ch on the Mk4..... I ordered a Dover Drive to see what that will do

15. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Got the Dover Drive Wednesday and it clicks all the boxes... pretty happy overall. It loves to be in front of an amp with a bit of volume so it will be perfect at gigs...