What year did fender revamp the american vintage series?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stormtrooper, May 20, 2015.

1. stormtrooper

stormtrooper Member

Is it the 2013's and up?

and how bad are the 2012's and lower is there that much difference?

2. Chris H.

Chris H. Member

Around late summer 2012.

3. ryans guitar exp

ryans guitar exp Member

Yes...summer of 2012 is when they came out. The new ones are certainly very nice but so are the older ones. I have owned a number of AVRI Fenders and I have never really had a bad one. You have to remember that just because there is a new or updated version doesn't mean that there was anything wrong with the older models. Fender updates their product lines every few years once sales start to get slow so they have something new to market. Sometimes its a big update, sometimes its not. In this case the newer ones are closer to the custom shop models and the specs are a little more year specific but don't turn down a good deal on an older one. They are very nice guitars.

4. John C

John C Supporting Member

Just to add - it was August of 2012; I think that it was supposed to be a bit later in the year but the new models got leaked so they were rolled out in late August.

The previous series (made from 1998-August 2012) was very good as well; they were already pretty close to the average vintage guitar they were trying to replicate. It's not like the new ones were incredibly more accurate than the previous series; it's more like going from 94% accurate to 97% accurate as the previous series was more about getting close to vintage-spec without getting down to the level of "the headstock decal should have these 4 patent numbers on it". The new series does get down to this level, much like the 2000s CS Time Machines did.

5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I've got a couple of AVRIs and have always thought they are a great line (old or new). Really good value for the $$ IMHO.

6. elicious

elicious Member

+1 big time!

7. brianeharmonjr

brianeharmonjr Member

I don't know that the accuracy necessarily changed, but they introduced different models. Instead of having a '57 and '62 Strat, they have a '56, '59 and '65 Strat and so on (different model years on all models, I believe). The AVRI stuff is probably my favorite series, and what seems to be the most consistent quality, at least in my experience. I don't think I'll ever let go of my '62 AVRI Jag, and I constantly regret letting go of my AVRI '62 Hot Rod Strat (both are 10-15 years old by now).