What year did they remove the tail from the Fender logo?

speedtaco

I know you guys have the answer. I just picked up a nearly mint 'Champ Amp' with the fender logo with the tail on the grill. Just trying to date it, and thought you all may help.
It looks like a late 60's, but does not have the drip edge. Did Champs come with the drip edge? What is cool is that is has the original literature in the original envelope. All the amps pictured in the catalog all have the drip edge.
The grill is that silvery blue color, and it does say AMP on the faceplate. It even has the original grey two prong plug. Original tubes also.

Any info on how to date it would be appreciated! Thanks- Kyle

SlowJoeCrow

Gold Supporting Member
I believe '68 is the only drip edge year--essentially the first silver face year.

Sounds like a cool score. I love those old ads showing the entire lineup of amps.

Silent Sound

There are usually date codes on transformers, pots, speaker and even the chassis. Just copy down the serial numbers, and there's plenty of websites that detail that information.

With vintage Fender amps, they tended to just grab parts out of bin, so sometimes your chassis can say, for instance, that it was made in 1973, while a transformer may say it was made in 1974. The amp itself would have to have been built after the latest part was built, so that amp would most likely be a 1974, unless a pot inside had an even later date.

Still, if you're not too concerned about getting the exact year it was built, then just date anything on there that doesn't look like it was replaced since the amp was built. All those dates are usually within a year of each other.

speedtaco

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try to get some of the codes of the parts to year the amp.

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
I know you guys have the answer. I just picked up a nearly mint 'Champ Amp' with the fender logo with the tail on the grill. Just trying to date it, and thought you all may help.
It looks like a late 60's, but does not have the drip edge. Did Champs come with the drip edge? What is cool is that is has the original literature in the original envelope. All the amps pictured in the catalog all have the drip edge.
The grill is that silvery blue color, and it does say AMP on the faceplate. It even has the original grey two prong plug. Original tubes also.

Any info on how to date it would be appreciated! Thanks- Kyle

'69 to '73.
The '68 Champs had the drip edge like the other amps of that year.

Oatie

Fender actually had several Tail-Less Logos,

The first ones appeared in about late 1966 and was a metal cast logo
and it did not have the Registered Trademark ® on the end and had
2 screws. Piggy Back Bassmans and a few other amps had them.
They were very rare. They also used these logos on some Black Tolex Guitar cases.

In late 1967 Fender made the 2nd Tail-Less Logo and it was a bit
smaller in size and make of plastic. It also has no Registered Trademark ® on the end. This was the New Silverface Transitional Logo and had only 2 screws.

The 3rd Tail-Less Logo was in the early 1970s and this one was metal and it
has the Registered Trademark ® on the end, and has 2 screws to hold it on.

woof*

There are usually date codes on transformers, pots, speaker and even the chassis. Just copy down the serial numbers, and there's plenty of websites that detail that information.

With vintage Fender amps, they tended to just grab parts out of bin, so sometimes your chassis can say, for instance, that it was made in 1973, while a transformer may say it was made in 1974. The amp itself would have to have been built after the latest part was built, so that amp would most likely be a 1974, unless a pot inside had an even later date.

Still, if you're not too concerned about getting the exact year it was built, then just date anything on there that doesn't look like it was replaced since the amp was built. All those dates are usually within a year of each other.

This is the best answer. Get the pot codes and trans numbers and chassis dates.

speedtaco

Is there a tube chart inside the cabinet? If so, there should be a build date code ink stamped on the chart somewhere. The code will be two letters, one for the year and one for the month.

This might help: http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm

It does have the tube chart Deacon, but its after they stopped stamping them. I think they stopped stamping them after 1966 or 1967? My drip edge Deluxe Reverb does not have the stamp either.

I'm kind of with Dirty Tube, I'm thinking its a '69 or '70. I will try to post a pic. It's a nice little amp.

Monotremata

Fender actually had several Tail-Less Logos,

The first ones appeared in about late 1966 and was a metal cast logo
and it did not have the Registered Trademark ® on the end and had
2 screws. Piggy Back Bassmans and a few other amps had them.
They were very rare. They also used these logos on some Black Tolex Guitar cases.

Yeah that threw me for a loop the first time I noticed it. My 66 has the tail logo, where my old roommate's didnt.

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
I have a 66 Tele & case and it has no tail on the Fender Logo..

neteraser

With vintage Fender amps, they tended to just grab parts out of bin
I believe they were well-organized about since Forrest White joined the company, read his book "Fender: The Inside Story". Leo initially didn't want a lot of bureaucracy, but was talked into a proper organization of parts storage. That book is great, you can feel the American culture of the time through it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom