What year did TopHat CRs become "more marshally"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mbratch, Sep 22, 2008.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

I keep reading that they did, wondering when it happened. Thanks!

2. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

and in the same vein, what year did bruno UG30's go from being voxy to more fendery?

3. RANMAN

RANMAN Member

The very early TH CR's were the most Marshally, say "98" to "2000 - 2001".These were solid state rectified with a generic OT. He changed to tube rectified models in 2002 - 2003, these were a little more Voxy. In 2005 he starting having Heybor make the OT's to his spec, these are the VOXY ones.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

They've always had a bit of "Marshall" in them. I've owned three, '97, '00, '05. The '05 was the most Voxy. I hear the new ones with the EZ81 rectifier and new trannies is pretty Marsahlly. Maybe Teleplayer will chime in, he's owned every version.

5. mbratch

mbratch Member

Interesting. The posts I've seen have said the latest ones are more Marshally, so did it drift back that direction after 2005?

6. RANMAN

RANMAN Member

I was only refering up to the 2005 models when he changed the tranny and went to the EZ81 rectifier. I owned this model, and a 1997 T18TB (half powered King Royal ) and heard some of the SS rectified models. I have not heard the current production model.

7. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

I have a late 2004 Club Deluxe which is the same circuit but with 6V6's. The tone controls are very wide ranging and I believe Top Hat at the time said the Club series tonally were a cross between a JTM 45 and a Vox AC15.

8. HHB

HHB Member

I have a 99 w/ a greenback, awesome!

9. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

I have an 04 CR w/ the GZ34 rectifier circuit and it gets really voxy with the bass between 10 and noon (o' clock) treble off ( or set really low) and mids at noon to about 2:30ish. bright/fat boost is off and cut is set to bring back some chime. My speakers right now aren't the classic vox stereotype speakers. I have a G12H30 and a Fane V30 currently. I've had a TopHat label G12H30 sitting around for a year now, just haven't gotten around to put it in yet. I may hold off so I can get a blue Heritage H30 combo or equivilant in there.

As far as which models are the "voxiest" I've heard that the 04 and 05 tube rectified models are the most especially with the deep 2x12 cabs. The older "scripty" models and the MkII's are more in the marshall camp, I've heard.

Hopefully Teleplayer can chime in, he knows his CR's and Tophats.