What year is this Les Paul?

C

clamdip7714

SN# 111804

Now the gent who owns this is sure it is a 63, but I am not.

First it is a Gold Top,
W/ Mini Humbuckers
W/Deluxe Truss cover

Now it has been modified, huge brass bride, Grover tuners and a brass pick guard.

Now I myself am guessing 69 or 70 but I'd like an expert's opinion. Can anyone tell better than me?

Thanks

billstets

They didn't make LP Goldtops in '63. And I think the mini humbuckers were Norlin era things. So it's probably early 70s.

billstets

1960 was the last LP, and they were sunburst unless a Custom. They started making LPs again in 1968 (or was it 1967?), and they were goldtops again, but I think P90s. Maybe both, I don't know for sure. I think Norlin bought the company in 1970 and I'm pretty sure the mini HBs are Norlin design, but I could be wrong. Maybe one of those "1s" in the serial number means 1971?

trisonic

The guitar sounds like a Deluxe from '69 onwards but the serial number indicates a '63 Gibson which is too weird.......something amiss somewhere.
The '68 goldtops were all P90's so far as I'm aware.

Best, Pete.

Lawn Jockey

It's definitely not a '63 since they quit making them in 1960.

I'm going to say 1969 based on the S/N. I had a '69 Custom with a very similar S/N.

If that's the case, it is an EARLY LP Deluxe....so maybe 1969 - 1972.

C

clamdip7714

The guitar sounds like a Deluxe from '69 onwards but the serial number indicates a '63 Gibson which is too weird.......something amiss somewhere.
The '68 goldtops were all P90's so far as I'm aware.

Best, Pete.
Well from what I found to be a 63 it should be a five digit number not six, am I right? I do know that is why he thought it was a 63 too, but I know it isn't. It looks just like this one down to the mini's etc. That for sure is no 63.

C

clamdip7714

It's definitely not a '63 since they quit making them in 1960.

I'm going to say 1969 based on the S/N. I had a '69 Custom with a very similar S/N.

If that's the case, it is an EARLY LP Deluxe....so maybe 1969 - 1972.
Thanks, I am going with 69-72 too. I let him know, although a bit sad he's happy to know what it was.

Now I hope they reboot the server as their forum is slow today. ;)

Lawn Jockey

If the mini-HB's are original (to the guitar) it is not a '69. The "original" Deluxes (1968) had soapbar P90's. The mini's didn't come about until later.

C

clamdip7714

check the codes on the pots in the control cavity, if they're original you'll have a date
Yep I'll let him know but the way it has already been modified, bad refretting, brass pickguard, Grover tuners and a horrid 70's Brass POS bridge I won't put much hope in pots being original. ;)

Trending Topics