What year strat do you love and why?

bpdeem

Lots of "what pickups should I buy" threads and it seems to be a "my favorite is..." Kinda thing. So why not have a thread dedicated to your favorite style strats? My bad if we've already got this well covered...

It'll sound generic I'm sure but I'm a huge fan of SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, John Mayer and Kenny Wayne Shepherd (not in the order). From my influences, it would seem that the 60's style strats/pickups would be where it's at for me. After playing a couple AVRI '59 and other strats based on the '59 specs, that is my strat. It just fits; the neck width & shape. I don't remember what shape neck they used, D or soft V, or the radius, but it fit VERY well in my smallish hands. And the pickups sound great! The most noticeable difference between this and almost all others I've tried is that the bridge didn't sound thin, trebly, and harsh. It was very usable, warm and round for a strat.

What about y'all?

dysorexia

My uncle has a 61. I think I like that strat the best. I have only played one 59 for an hour and I thought the neck was wonderful.

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
I grew up watching my favorite guys play rosewood board strats. Took me awhile but I finally figured out I like the ash bodied maple board V neck strats from the late 50's.

LoopyBullet

Silver Supporting Member
Late 1962/1963.

It has everything I'm looking for - rosewood frets, wide 12th fret dots, thin round lam fingerboard (it's a minuscule, but nice feature aesthetically aside from the function). Pickups are lower output than 50s Strats.

I don't know why, but a thin round lam fingerboard is just IT for me, even though it's a stupid detail to pay attention to.

Dunzie

I've owned three awesome 2011's and two awesome 2012's so those are my favorite years I'd say.

Dunzie

Hey thanks Kmaz... they're both 2011 Custom Shop Custom Deluxes. The amp is just an older Blues Deluxe I have.

Lmill999

I haven't played any older Strats. My 2013 Strat is the best one I've played though. It is loaded with SD Antiquity Surfers, and they do really well at nailing that early 60s tone that you hear on all the classic records.

65DuoSonic

Of the small number of vintage Strats I've played, I really liked a '64 and a '66. I got a CS '66 a while back and it is a really great sounding Strat. Love the beefy neck.

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Hey thanks Kmaz... they're both 2011 Custom Shop Custom Deluxes. The amp is just an older Blues Deluxe I have.

Thanks, Dunzie. Very classy-looking Strats.

Btw, I'm from SW Ontario also!

RTR

'08 because that's what I currently own. Sunburst with maple neck. Had a '93 with a maple neck and it was just meh.

mudster

High Prairie Wrangler
Gold Supporting Member
2014 because I've never owned a vintage strat and my 2014 Wildwood strat sounds amazing.

ksandvik

About the last five years or so, all strats, even many MIM and some Squier, have been consistent concerning quality. So yes, anything from the last five years.

PS: I really hope the 1975-82 Strats never become vintage ones.

Stratburst70

I've never had the privilege of playing a pre-CBS Strat (I played a 1958 Jazzmaster once. I still kick myself for not having the $$$ to snap that one up).

I do own a 2008 Road Worn 50's and a 2014 EJ and both are stunning instruments. So I'd say the post-2008 Strats are right up there, quality-wise.

mikealpine

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Deluxe Power Strat. I upgraded to Zexcoils and modified the wiring a bit to get bridge/neck. Love the Piezo.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
A particular '64 I once owned is the standard by which I measure all others. It was tonal magic...the friggin' thing even made my feeble playing sound half decent ;).

Last edited:

megawzrd

Silver Supporting Member
2007 Fender '62 Hot rod strat. I would love to play a real '54, that would be a dream. But I am content till then.

bandmaster

1956; I prefer (lightweight) swamp ash over alder, one-piece-Maple neck. I really like the '55 early '56 neck shape, big neck with rounder soft v shape and the '56 2tone sb.

Trending Topics