What year Tele is Joe Walsh playing here?

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
Three tone sunburst. I can't tell if it's alder or ash. Typically they did sunburst on alder??
Tripple ply pickguard, one piece maple neck(two string trees), 4 bolt neck and modded with a strat neck pu or the cover has been taken off. My eyes are not very good anymore.
Looks like a mid 70's to me.
Just wondering if anyone knows the actual year? I spent some time trying to find the info on that particular Tele to no avail.
Thanks.

Last edited:

kev

fire hydrant
Double Platinum Member
I'm digging too Sean, this linked discussion might at least narrow down off the ledge of 'what decade's it from'. I agree with your take so far. Esp. from the H.Cali video, it looks so 'new' that is is more than likely from the mid-70's (if the poster on TDPRI is correct that this particular Tele is 'all over' the H.C. album). The neck cover does look removed, rather than a Strat pickup in it's place too.

TDPRI Tele to own discussion

This article says nothing about the guitar gear, but it's a fun read otherwise:

Hotel California recording

jklotz

I'm digging too Sean, this linked discussion might at least narrow down off the ledge of 'what decade's it from'. I agree with your take so far. Esp. from the H.Cali video, it looks so 'new' that is is more than likely from the mid-70's (if the poster on TDPRI is correct that this particular Tele is 'all over' the H.C. album). The neck cover does look removed, rather than a Strat pickup in it's place too.

TDPRI Tele to own discussion

This article says nothing about the guitar gear, but it's a fun read otherwise:

Hotel California recording

Kev, thanks for posting the article. It was a fun read.

Tommy Biggs

Silver Supporting Member
I recall reading that it was a '74. I don't remember where, but that stuck.
I have a 78 that looks similar color wise, with the black 3 ply, but that one in the video appears to have the more scooped body at the upper bout. I actually watched and paused it a few times looking for "the notch", but I couldn't spot anything. 74 is a good guess. My 78 is ash.

When I bought that Tele, I had no idea it was used on that recording. It really doesn't matter, but it is an interesting footnote for my old Tele, that it looks like the one used in that performance. Nice job by them eagles.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom