1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What you think about my relic project? Honestly!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ToneRanger, Mar 16, 2006.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Ok, here are couple of my relic projects, what do you think.. The items reliced include a '86 Rickenbacker 360 and a '96 Fender Japanese '62 Stratocaster plus a Bad Cat Cub II combo. Here are the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, just kidding. That would be too much for even relic fanatics, I guess! These are some of the stuff that got destroyed in a fire back in November 2004. We lost our studio, rehearsal place, and another home in the fire.. It started from a car paint shop downstairs. What a place it was.. We lost two Wurlitzer electronic pianos, couple of synths, two Strats, the Rick, the Bad Cat, another Class A boutique amp, 70's Rogers drums and a Ludwig snare, bass amplifier, couple of beater guitars, most of the photographs taken over the years, all of our recording gear (computer, soundcard, preamps, other rack stuff, microphones) and ofcourse the recordings plus the backups that were safely stored next to the computer.

Just found these pics from my computer and I thought it would be nice to share them..

Here's the place in flames, picture from local newspaper..
    [​IMG]

2. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

*knock on wood*

3. landru64

landru64 Member

can you make me one?

4. prsflame

prsflame Member

It's very scary to look at those pics. I could only imagine what it must feel like to experience the loss of one's posessions and home to fire.

5. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

6. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Yes, may I help you? :)

7. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

does the Ric have the toaster pickups?

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

:) Good stuff, keep them coming! :)

Yeah, it was the worst that could happen. About ½ years pretty bad depression, well not anything medical you know, but for a positive thinking dude it was pretty hard. The insurance battle was also very nice, I won in the end but all of us weren't that fortunate.

The "funny" thing was that there were two fires. The first one only frightened us a bit, the guys went to empty the place but the landlord said it was ok (the first one did nothing to our place), so the stuff was lef there. The following night the place literally exploded, so I guess we've got to thank the fire brigade for that one ;)

Let's put it like this: if we had known ALL the trouble it gave us (getting the gear back together, finding a new place, getting the studio built again, getting the recordings underway) and all that I think we might have given up. It was like 10 years of our lives had been destroyed.. Anyway, now we are trucking on harder than ever!!

It feels pretty damn good to be able to function again... Got a first gig in ages tomorrow night and it's great to be able just to do that and ofcourse testdrive the new gear that has been piling up. I'm gonna take my Telesonic and fellow TGPer Teddy Boy is giving his SG a chance to shine!

www.daisyband.com
    www.myspace.com/daisyband

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I'm looking forward to it! Very excited also! Plus I'm annoyed that I've put on a few pounds and I can't think of anything to wear... Wow, I can sound really gay sometimes.

10. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

cool! is that a flame top or a blister top?

11. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

Hate when that happens ... I'm in fire protection & have seen my share of that kind of thing - nothing good to say about it. :(

HT

12. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

That's some tragic damage.

I'd definately try to salvage that Strat though if the wood is solid enough. I can't tell how badly the wood burned from the the picture though. But it has potential to make a very interesting guitar IMO.

This is my one relic'd parts Tele, which is my main guitar. A burnt Strat relic guitar would be way cooler though.

[​IMG]

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Nice work with the Tele, Pete!

The Strat was burned too badly. You cant see it that well in the picture, but if I had removed the coal, there wouldnt have been much left of the body.

Teddy Boy, on the other hand, had also a Japanese strat in the building, which didn't sustain as bad damage as mine. It actually looks VERY cool! The neck is gone, but the body looks wonderful. The lacquer has "blistered" and changed color and generally, the guitar has been "smoked". It had a sticker on it which caused a cool effect as well. All the hardware is pretty rusty, and Keith Richards looking :)

If Teddy Boy could get a picture of the body, I guess some people would get a kick out of it :) It might be a good item to sell on ebay, you cant do that yourself, atleast that easily or safely ;) Just kidding, I guess Teddy Boy will at some point buy a neck for the guitar and put it back together.

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep, I should try and put it back together. I was a CIJ Shell Pink 60's strat. Now it looks like a roasted marshmallow. Still pink, but roasted! Also the case lining melted on to the body on the sides and turned green. Can't get that off. It stained the paint somehow.

Now I just need pickups and a neck. The hardware is perfect! The pickguard is a bit warped but really nice.

15. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I think you should do it, definately. As the Fender necks seem to be so damn expensive maybe you should buy an aftermarket neck and just put a Fender decal on it. That plus a acmeguitarworks prewired strat assembly and I think you'd have total killer guitar.

16. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I want to use the pickguard. It's got mojo! I'm doing my own installation! It's gonna be sweet for sure!

Yuo're right about the neck though... May have to look into that...

17. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Oh, I forgot about the pickguard looking so cool. A nitro finished maple neck and just the parts and it's done!´

But seriously, you got to post a pic of the guitar..

18. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I'll try and bring my camera along this weekend...

19. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

You'll have to put it back together!

If you have some pictures, I'm sure several people would love to see a roasted Shell Pink Tele. I sure would.

I'd love to try some sort of controlled faked fire damage, but I'm not even sure how you'd go about doing that. Maybe with a bonfire. Attach the body to some hardwood at the neck pocket, and bolt on all the hardware, and a pickguard, and roast the body like a marhmallow.

Pete