• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Whatcha think of Presonus?

wpawley

Okay, here's the deal. Right now, I am using my Roland VS-2480 as a mixer for my band. I also record our shows and practice sessions on it. I am getting worried that it will crap out just when I need it the most and also to get more effects, they cost a bunch of money (I only have the one effects board installed). The only problem I have had with it is the HD went bad and replaced it with a rebuilt one of the same size from Roland. Wasn't too bad but still..... So, I have been looking around at boards to possibly replace the Roland with and so far, I am liking the 16.4.2 Presonus (would rather have the 24.4.2 but that will take a bit more convincing). So, those on here that have experience with the Presonus line, what do you think of them? How really good is the EQ/FAT section? How good is the Studio 1 software that comes with it? Anything I should look out for if I got one? I have watched You Tube videos of a bunch of different mixers and I am wanting to stay with something that is compatible with a lot of different DAW programs. Thanks for any information....

Rhombus

The Presonus BlueTube was my first and last experience with Presonus. Anyone who would put out such a terrible product doesn't get my business.

Monotremata

Ive used an original Blue Tube as well and yeah it was a piece of crap.. But so has just about EVERY starved plate sub $100 tube mic pre Ive used..
Just about everything else is great hehe. I still have the Blue Max compressor I use for tracking vocals and its pretty rad.

Like Treeofpain, Ive heard nothing but good things from the few folks I know that have the mixers (Id love one if I had the space for it), and I would absolutely KILL for any one of their higher end channel strips.

MLG Audio

Basing a company's entire product reliability off of a single item that you had isn't quite fair in my opinion. Every company big and small has it's share of duds that get sent out. Personally I love presonus products. I've used my firestudio project for the past 4 years and have had no problems with it whatsoever. My favorite piece of gear though is definitely my 16.4.2. It gets used every single weekend of the year. Sometimes twice each weekend. I love having the option to mutlitrack right into protools (I haven't used studio1 at all yet). The effects onboard as well as the fat channel are very easy to use. But my favorite thing about it might be the smaart system build right into universal control. If you have any issues with feedback on stage, they can now be taken care of almost instantly with the spectral analyzer.

Overall I think that the presonus digital boards are the best product in the price range. Especially if you can get a 1st gen used. Now that the AI versions are out, 1st gen prices are plummeting. That is if you don't want the extra stuff the AI has to offer.

Hope this helps

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
So far my StudioLive has been flawless. It doesn't go out on gigs often, but it's used 4 times a week for rehearsals/recording live, and I love it. I've had it 2 years now without a glitch. Hope that continues as I love mine.

wpawley

Thanks guys. I want to upgrade to at least a 16.4.2 asap. Nothing really wrong with my Roland but I do want something better. I just don't seem to be getting the "push" out of the Roland to drive the PA amps like I think it should though. How is the Presonus on that?

imaxeman69

Well, I know a handful of guys using the StudioLive and there hasn't been a failure that I know of yet.

I've used the ACP88 comp/gate, and never had an issue.

ubermutant

Thanks guys. I want to upgrade to at least a 16.4.2 asap. Nothing really wrong with my Roland but I do want something better. I just don't seem to be getting the "push" out of the Roland to drive the PA amps like I think it should though. How is the Presonus on that?
Well, I know a handful of guys using the StudioLive and there hasn't been a failure that I know of yet.

I've used the ACP88 comp/gate, and never had an issue.
Used a couple of StudioLive boxes about a year ago, they were great. When the time came to buy I went with an AudoBox 1818 and a (used) DigiMax FS unit. The main reason being was I didn't want to get stuck with a solution that combined the computer and audio hardware, so I opted for the stand-alone preamps.

I will say nothing I've used that says Presonus on it has given me any trouble at all and the XMAX preamps have been great. The AudioBox drivers are flawless from what I can see and that's worth mentioning as not all brands can claim that. There's probably better stuff out there if someone doesn't care about the money but for me at least I'll put the extra money into microphones.

b.

nosignal

I've had my presonus firepod for about 6 years or so. It's never given me any problems and I'm pretty happy with the results I get from the unit.

loudboy

I think they're solid, but we're getting into the second wave of smaller digital consoles now, and the feature sets/price of some different brands may be more favorable.

straticus

Ive been using PreSonus interfaces for years with no problems. I bought a SL 16-4-2 when they first came out and have been using it on a regular basis ever since. It's been rock solid.
The fat channel is great and I get wonderful sounding recordings using the SL as an interface in the studio.

Rhombus

Basing a company's entire product reliability off of a single item that you had isn't quite fair in my opinion. Every company big and small has it's share of duds that get sent out.
You're right, it's not fair, but there are so many companies out there making the same things, especially in the low end market, when one company leaves a bad taste in your mouth, it would be sort of foolish to buy more of their product. And I don't respect companies who make garbage for mass consumption. It's kind of unethical, IMO.

bob-i

The Presonus BlueTube was my first and last experience with Presonus. Anyone who would put out such a terrible product doesn't get my business.
Really? You base your evaluation of a $2000 board on a $100 mic :jo

I drove a 1970 Pinto last week, I will never own a Lincoln Towne car, they're both Fords.

bob-i

We use a Presonus board in my band, love it. The overall tone and noise level is far better than the mackie we used before! and I'm a big fan of mackie. The iPad and iPhone capability is great, I mix my own monitors while the soundman wanders around the venue with his iPad mixing FOH. I use my iPads 4G LTE as a hotspot so we don't need to rely on finding wifi or setting up a router.

mattball826

I think they're solid, but we're getting into the second wave of smaller digital consoles now, and the feature sets/price of some different brands may be more favorable.
yeah. i'd use the roland until the new qsc mixer is out.

presonus is alright but there have been reports of fader issues, and the units bricking (lights are on no display no sound). of course than can happen to any digital mixer.

if it was me i find the one with the best warranty.

you can get any daw software to work with imported wav files. studio-one is decent enough but there is better.

Rhombus

Really? You base your evaluation of a $2000 board on a $100 mic :jo

I drove a 1970 Pinto last week, I will never own a Lincoln Towne car, they're both Fords.
What? no, I didn't evaluate a $2000 board, and nor is it a mic.

Lincoln is not a Ford, it's a Lincoln. Sure it's owned by Ford, but I doubt the same engineers design both lines. However, if they released such a horrible product, I would not like their brand. Such as the case with Presonus. Any reputable company would not release such crap, but it happens and I am forgiving.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom