What'd I buy?!?!

jbird

I just bought a Les Paul G0! I guess? First off, I got it from Willcutts, where I've purchased before, so I'm not totally in the dark here. I was looking for a 1960 VOS, and stumbled onto this G0! I guess they are a Guitar Center VOS 1960 with plain tops? Whereas normally, the 1960 VOS come only with flamed tops, at a steeper price.? It's an '06 model, it looks like the Iced Tea color. Anyways, anyone have any indicators, or clues to these things? It will arrive with all original hangtags and all, but after doing research on these things, I get confused? Theres the reflektor knobs some have, some don't, different color options, which seem to change each year, etc, etc. What/which is a real 1960? Here is a pic, from Willcutt's... Thanks!

daddyo

I just bought a Les Paul G0! I guess? First off, I got it from Willcutts, where I've purchased before, so I'm not totally in the dark here. I was looking for a 1960 VOS, and stumbled onto this G0! I guess they are a Guitar Center VOS 1960 with plain tops? Whereas normally, the 1960 VOS come only with flamed tops, at a steeper price.? It's an '06 model, it looks like the Iced Tea color. Anyways, anyone have any indicators, or clues to these things? It will arrive with all original hangtags and all, but after doing research on these things, I get confused? Theres the reflektor knobs some have, some don't, different color options, which seem to change each year, etc, etc. What/which is a real 1960? Here is a pic, from Willcutt's... Thanks!

That top is 1/4 sawn maple. Very striking. I've never seen a 1/4 sawn maple top.

SgtThump

Beautiful guitar. What is the serial number? Don't they start with G0 or something? I can't remember. Either way, those Guitar Center '60s guitars are awesome. I compared a couple of those to a couple of R8s and they seemed the same to me except for the neck thickness.

I ended up picking an R8, but not because I didn't dig the G0. They are VERY nice. I believe they used to come with cheaper caps, but nowadays (like in the past 6-12 months) come with the bumblebee reissues.

Chris

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer that top to the fancy ones. That looks like a guitar that's meant to be played instead of looked at. Very nice!

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
You know, I rarely comment on an instrument based on pictures alone, but I like that a lot more than most of the higher-end LPs I've seen. It probably looks more like an average '60 LP, too.

Mike9

Supporting Member
That's a gorgeous top on that guitar - congrats on a great LP & I hope it plays as good as it looks :drool

Yep, Guitar Center exclusives. Like Thump mentioned, they're essentially Historic R0s with a few downlevel parts and plainer finishes to get them out the door cheaper. Great guitars and a super deal for a Historic.

Glad to hear they're upgrading them a little bit now, but the earlier ones are better deals I bet. People usually pull the pots and caps anyway, so why pay for the "upgrade" parts from Gibson?

jbird

Wow! The plethora of information! The links to previous threads! All of my questions have been answered! Thanks all! Now the wait begins....

Congrats on the purchase! I have an '07 G0 in the darkburst and I never cease to get compliments from people who've played it. I prefer plaintops and this is one of the best deals on a vintage spec'd LP. Enjoy the axe when you get it, man!

Trending Topics