Whatever happend to Q Sound?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cber1517, Apr 15, 2008.

1. cber1517

cber1517 Member

In the early 90's a lot of cd's were being mixed in Q Sound, including Sting's Soul Cages and Pink Floyd Pulse. I thought the stereo imaging was incredible yet have not seen or heard anything about it in years. Is it gone or replaced with some newer technology?

:munch

2. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

See the documentary "The fate of Q Sound", available on Beta videocassette exclusively.

;)

3. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

:roll:roll

4. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

:roll

5. Eganmedia

Eganmedia Member

If I remember, there was an article Mix magazine that described the device and the process. The thing that killed Q sound was a combination of cost (something like 100 grand for a technician and the hardware for a mix session) and the fact that a lot of people found the weird phasey artifacting more distracting than enhancing. It also collapsed woefully when summed to mono. As most FM receivers will collapse a broadcast to mono if the signal begins to fade, songs would wobble in and out of stereo in a not-to-subtle way. Add to that the fact that you had to sit right in the sweet spot in order to experience the desired effect made the whole thing kind of a novelty at best.

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

"This album was mixed with the Aphex Aural Exciter"

7. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

There was a Q-sound software version released about 10 years ago. I played around with it, and you could do some interesting things as far as wide panned signals go. I don't think I'd want to use it on a whole mix, but for special FX, and to grab attention I think it'd be great.

Why did Q sound die....well, my guess is that somebody realized that most of the stereo's out there in the hands of consumers are not set up correctly at all (speakers out of phase, poor positions, in seperate rooms, etc), and that combined with Q sound could make for a poor listening experience.

Cheers

Kris

8. Platinum Sample

Platinum Sample Member

Q Sound failed because of greed. When it first came out a lot of engineers and producers got all excited and started investing their money into the company and tried to get others to use it. They didn't want to sell the software or rent out the system though - they wanted points on the albums. No-one went for it... The few albums that used it were meant to showcase the technology.. and were on albums produced or engineered by investors.

Rail

9. Boleary2

Boleary2 Supporting Member

hearing this on a roger waters record and it was amazing...
    sad it never made it, the effect was quirky but cool!

10. Goku13

Goku13 Member

Haha, the only thing I remember Q Sound from was from when the video game Super Street Fighter 2 came out and the games music was mixed in Q Sound (or so the game told me). I LOVED the music for that game, especially that version of it and I kept trying to find the soundtrack. When I finally DID, of course, it doesn't sound as good cause they probably had to remix it or something into normal stereo, and now it sounds kinda dull and lifeless. :(

11. isfahani

isfahani Member

rotflmao

12. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Nice to see you here Rail...I remember enjoying your posts on rec.audio.pro, and have enjoyed your recording. I hope you stick around, I'm hoping to get some tips from you. :BEER

Cheers

Kris

13. elambo

elambo Member

I didn't know that. Good riddance Q Sound...

14. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

My Clearmountain samples disc offers each sample 2x - once in Q Sound!

15. elambo

elambo Member

Really? I'm assuming you're referring to the drum library -- Clearmountain I or II?