Whatever happened about all the talk of the 2210 Bassman by Kendrick?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mayflower, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

I have owned 3 ...1 now. they were all the rage for some time.
    Anybody else still hip on these amps?
    I love mine.
    A still have 94 in mint condition with all the options including rerveb/fx loop/ and and boost.
    You rarely hear bout these amps any more.
    What's the deal?
    Any love?
    D-

2. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

I dunno.Used to have a Texas Crude.Awesome amp.Built like a tank.One of the secret weapons in my recording studio is my 6-shooter mic preamp.All point-to-point with 6 in-6 out and an amazing bargain.Another bomb is my Buffalo Phuz.I use it for clean boosting etc.They still make amazing gear.
    Hang on to your amp.They are special.

3. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Gerald made a big "to do" about getting out of the amp biz a few years ago. I guess that didn't work out too well for him. Anyone know why he quit, then un-quit?

4. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

A former employee embezzled him out of a buttload of money about 8 years ago, but I don't know if that's why he did the bizarre quit/un-quit move. I do know that nobody but Jill (his lovely wife) handles the finances since then.

5. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I've played one.Killer!!!
    Played several other models too.
    Gerald's shop is 10 min from my house.

6. john l

john l Member

Ive enjoyed a couple of books hes written but havent run into one of his amps to try out yet. The boutique fender niche is literally spilling over guys that put out good amps, it'd be a tough one to make it in.

7. mike shaw

mike shaw Member

He had some very serious healh problems a few years ago. Maybe the amp production duties were too much for him at the time?

8. zorak

zorak Member

I met him at the 1996 Dallas Guitar Show and he was telling me about being a semi-professional boxer - "geez, dude, isn't it much safer working with capacitors, resistors and transformers?"

Gerald has made some killer gear over the last 20 years. Very respected in the amp community. His Bassman is the "definitive" Bassman copy made. Without a doubt.

9. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Can U say BAD ASS MAN.
    This was my fav.:dude

10. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Silver Supporting Member

Known Gerald for many years. Did lots and lots of guitar shows where he was there. He really started the Tweed boutique industry in many ways. I was unaware of some of the embezzlement thing, and that is rough to go through. The Trainwreck Climax thing really miffed a lot of people, it was not his shining moment. There was also a period of time where he switched almost everything over to PCB boards, and deserved or not, many people had a negative reaction to that. I will say I did a review of the 35 watt K-Spot a few years ago, and was impressed. I will also say one of the finest amps I have ever played for blues styled music was an Oxblood Cloth covered amp called a Do Awl, of which 3 were made. 1 to Billy Gibbons, 1 Gerald kept, and 1 to Charlie's in Dallas. It was modelled after the 1948 Dual Professional 2x10 amp with speakers slanted away from one another, and a metal strip in the middle. I tried for almost a year to get them to sell it to me. Somneone did, I still don't know who. I have heard good things again, and the reverbs he adds to amps sound fantastic. Gerald is a trip to spend time with, he has some real stories. I miss him. I need to get back to TX!!!!

11. killer blues

killer blues Member

I had 2 black gold 50's that were monsters when I was gigging. I was getting a lot of compliments for my tone. I had a black gold 15 that was nice too.

I really want a texas crude spindle top with a 4x12 cab.

12. toneranger58

toneranger58 Member

I have a 100W Texas Crude Spindletop Head that Gerald buit for me in 1996. Sounds great and is huge through a 4 12 bottom. It has options for Fixed or Cathode Bias, Tube or solid state rectifier, seperate OD boost with a master and an effects loop. Really impressive build and options for one of the first boutique amps. I have never seen another one. The Tone is crazy good.

Chuck

13. Oatie

Oatie Member

I have one of his old Bassmans, and many of the Black Frame / Gold Label Speakers, the killer ones with the sweeping thin cone center that flairs out to the rims. They are a deep speaker with an amazing tone, those old Kendrick speakers are some of the best ever made. If you can ever find any of the old black frame speakers, buy them all. They are so hard to find as everyone who owns them will not sell them. I have a 12" in a Deluxe Reverb and it's great. The four 10" black frame speakers in the Bassman make it an in credible amp, serious if you have never listened to one your missing out.

G-Man always returns my emails, always. Quite a guy.

14. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

I have a 2210 and it is a cool amp. I had someone mod it a little bit as the amp was over filtered in my opinion. He talks about that in his books about over filtering it to remove ghost notes but I think he over did it. I have two real vintage bassmans and I would not say the 2210 sounds exactlly like it. It is a lot of power for 2 speakers and the amp is bright, not sure if that is a function of the amp or the speakers. cutting back the filtering and using a 5u4 brings it back some and I think it improved the tone. I dont play it that much but thought I would hold on to it. It is built very nicely

15. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

I've not played a Kendrick that I didn't think was great for what it was. I agree that his bassman was the definitive repro model.

16. Doc58

Doc58 Member

So tell me why people talk **** about Gerald? The Man apparently knows allot about Amps. As far as Mods...I like the idea of pushin the envelope! Gerald does that in spades!

17. killer blues

killer blues Member

because he is (was) a hype-miester extroadinaire. Some of the stuff he proclaimed has been seriously debunked by a lot of respected electronics guys. Plus the climax debacle had some serious controversy to it. Others know much better than I do . His amps do kick serious ass though.

18. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

Love Kendrick bassmans!

I just bought another one from a fellow Gear Pager today!!

Older model has the 4 black frame speakers cant wait to crank it up!!

:D

19. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

His books were the first ones I read about vintage tube amps and really got me into them well before I found TGP. I always wanted one of his amps but the prices were really prohibitive and yeah, he really was a hype-meister. I missed the whole Climax thing though, what's that all about?

20. jcs

jcs Member

I remember talking to Gerald in the very early 90's....I told him I didn't have much money to spend but I owned some old Fender amps.

The guy was the coolest cat ever imo! He didn't care that I couldn't afford his amps at the time and was very sharing with info.

I went out and bought the first Gerald Weber book which changed everything for me.

Later on I called about an amp he built I saw at a guitar show in KC.....it sounded killer with 2x10s and 1X15 in the same cab wired in parallel....he told me only a real JBL 15 alnico sounded right in that amp among other things.

Once again, Gerald was beyond cool...we talked about old wood being used in guitar cabinets, the last of the real Chicago Jensen cones he bought up to make his speakers with and my personal growing NOS tube stash.

At the time he was building the "whorehouse amps" built with salvaged wood from supposedly an old whorehouse in Texas!

Sure, Gerald was a lot of hype but he understood the importance of the tweed Fender amps at a time when few did commercially.