Whatever happened to "smartwood" les pauls?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by harpinon, Feb 4, 2012.

1. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I never hear anyone ever say they owned one. I was intrigued when I saw them in MF years ago.
    Whatever happened to them? Does anyone at TGP have one?

2. JB6464

JB6464 Member

I have a 2007 smartwood that's chambered.

3. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

I never had the opportunity to own one, but I was always attracted to the cool looking wood types and the sustainability concept...

[​IMG]

M

4. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

I knew a guy with one in Cucaruchio Bananarama Lupidio or something. ;-)
    He loved it and it sounded GREAT.
    You don't ever see them for sale.

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

That one on the far right is really nice looking. What kind of wood(s) is that?

6. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

7. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

There was one for sale in my local shop that usually sells only Samics and Squires. I printed out a fact sheet for them because they had no idea what it was.

The guitar was OK. Played more like a special than a 'burst. It was cool from a "that's different" point of view, and from the "saving the earth" angle, but it didn't blow me away enough to buy it.

8. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

I always thought the smartwood concept was cool and wouldn't mind having one just for fun.

It's kind of funny that those were called "smartwood" and incorporated different woods for there sustainable nature but somehow all the fretboards are still rosewood instead of any of the "Ideas that have been in RD for sometime" according to Gibson to encounter the scarcity of wood types. Why no Obeche or Ritchlite or Laminated rosewood boards on those? That's a guitar they would make sense on and it would be out front and in the open of why they were doing it and in turn would have legitimized the use in a lot of peoples minds, probably. Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

9. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

I saw one in a pawn shop once. It was pretty ho-hum looking, not as pretty as those pictured above. More like a faded, which I'm not a fan of.

10. 19181911

19181911 Senior Member

If I could get one with brazilian fretboard and ivory tuner buttons, I'd be all over it!

11. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

:spit X 2

12. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

:rotflmao

but i agree with the above sentiments also...

i am awaiting the day when the big makers have knowledgeable pickers going around to estate sales buying up old furniture to reclaim veneers from. i have a huge solid birdseye dresser i got when my dad "croaked" (apparently i said i wanted it when i was four using that exact word, lol) i have been eyeing for years to that effect.

:huh i thought it was a great concept that never took hold for them...:huh

13. JB6464

JB6464 Member

My 2007 has a Preciosa wood fretboard which i think is harder than Rosewood but not as hard as maple wood.
    The body is Mahogony with a Muiracatiara top.
    Smartwoods do sound slightly warmer than normal LP standards with Rosewood boards and maple caps.
    The Smartwood LP's with PAF pickups kind of fall in between an all mahogany LP and a standard with the maple top.

14. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

I think I'd really like the warmer tones of these woods and on Strat types also.

I wondered as EADGBE did what that figured wood was on the right of the row of LPs.