What's a Callaham Strat worth?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by donostia13, Jul 25, 2008.

1. donostia13

donostia13 Member

2. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

Well, since those guitars are usually built to spec if the specs fit you, thats a bargain considering the wait.
    Otherwise if you like buying used shoes who knows if they fit.

3. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

3K has been the absolute highest $ I've seen them go for. I've had 3 S types, all under 3K. One was a keeper, and is my main strat. All were very good guitars, and I'm always on the lookout for others. Do you want vintage fret wire? That's special order, as Callaham uses modern, bigger wire. This one has small wire, and does not have the stock Fralin picups. That's going to hurt resale, if you don't fall in love. My guess is this guitar will not get sold until there's a lower starting bid. On the other side of the argument, they don't come up too often, and I'll overpay a bit for something my heart is set on. I've sold many of those too. Good hunting to you!

4. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

When they do come up they sell for around $2500. Put your order in and buy a used Suhr or Relic till it's ready in 3 or 4 years. They are nice guitars and have a really nice feel to the neck. When I got mine it didn't sound as good as the 56' Relic I had so I sold it after just a few weeks. Kinda wish I hadn't but at the time I did't feel like messing with p/ups to get it where I wanted it.

5. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I just looked at the Callaham website and they are now charging $2700 for the S type so $3000 seems pretty resonable for avoiding a 3.5 year wait. If I really wanted one I would pay $100 per year of waiting.

6. donostia13

donostia13 Member

Excellent points; after months of reading up on the big rep/small volume players that go head-to-head with the Fender CS, I've all but decided that a Grosh RC is what I want. But...only because a Callaham is such an epic wait. The Callahams just seem to have that "It" quality.

You know, as long as Callahams are in demand, anyone can make money by ordering and then selling immediately upon delivery. Callaham honors the asking price at the time of order; if I order one for $2700, surely someone will be willing to pay a few hundred over the order price three years from now. It might be up to $3200 by then! Wow, Callahams are better than savings bonds :)

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Is the guitar worth this as an instrument ? I would say yes .
    Is the guitar worth this down the line ? this is a difficult thing to tell and from my experience in the vintage market I would have to say no.
    So I guess if it is going to be your main player go for it ,but I personally don't think it's one for under the bed.

8. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

It's worth whatever you (or others) are willing to pay. Very few guitars are really "investment grade".

By the way, what happens if you make a downpayment on an instrument and you die during the 4 year wait??? Is the downpayment refunded to your "next of kin"? Just asking.