Whats a good 40 watt 6L6 tube amp... big round clean sound?

Webfoot

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for a amp that has a good clean 6L6 round sound that is 40 watt with a single 12".

r9player

Gold Supporting Member
RC Davis 50 Watt (Blackface type amp)
My Chandler C38 is not too shabby either but it breaks up sooner.
Holland Brentwood
Fender ____ Reverb

odourboy

What's your budget? The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is 40W and 1X12 and many feel it has a good clean tone on a limited budget.

Webfoot

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the posts.... I had a highly modded bassman ltd and sold to go the lightweight path!

Hot Rod Deluxes I am kind of iffy on. Okay at low volume but low that seems not to balance to me (way bassy).

I think I got spoiled today playing through some victorias.

I've heard of the Allesandro but not the RC davis and will check them out.

DICKIE C

I played thru a '64 Vibroverb RI once, it had a nice round fat clean tone. Not a 112 tho, it was a 115

GDking

I like my bruno cowtipper 45 amp. I have had one as my go to amp for a few years now.

Awesome rock and roll tone with pedals too.

riffmeister

Tone King Meteor II and Bruno Cowtipper 35 are two fantastic Fender inspired amps. Tone King is more versatile (4x6V6, 2x6V6, 2x6L6, 2xEL34 power tube options, two channels clean and Tweed, tremolo on clean channel) and a bit more mid-scooped and twangy and transitions into OD tones more smoothly, Bruno stays cleaner longer and has a bit fuller midrange sound and is more of a one-trick pony (but a good one!).

sM2CT35.jpg

H

hemlock

+1 on the Hot Rod. Can't beat it for the price.

The Fargen 40 watt Blackbird is amazing.

The Alessandro Working Dog Rottweiler also sounds great.

I've had mixed luck with the Carr rambler. I've played a couple that sounded great and a couple of others that sounded like crap. The ones i didn't like were VERY loose on the bottom end.

I know it's heresy, but I also like the Peavey Valveking. but it's 50 watts.

It's about 35 watts, but the top Hat Super Deluxe is a great amp!!

dave s

At our rehearsals, we have access to two Hot Rod Deville 212 40w combos. They sound pretty darned good, cut through very well, have plenty of clean headroom on tap and definitely get the job done.

Downside: Pretty heavy, reverb is kind of 'sproingy' sounding. Gain channel not too good.

dave

gkoelling

In that category the Gries 35 does it for me. I've had it over 2 years and the honeymoon's still on.

Jim L

Love my Holland Lil Jimi.

1x12 combo that I replaced my SF Pro Reverb with. A lot easier to haul and place in a live setting, IMHO, than the 2x12. Plus, it's got a presence control, two-knob reverb and the "sweep" control that changes the overall EQ form Fender to British. Nice when going from single coils to buckers.

Mine's collecting dust these days as it's to powerful to turn up at home (young kids at home)and I'm not playing out anymore.
535-Holland1.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom