whats a good 5 watt tweed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bugman, Sep 7, 2008.

1. bugman

bugman Member

who makes good 5 watt tweed amps

2. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Does it have to be tweed? Here's a Crate V58. 1-EL84, and 1-12AX7.

[​IMG]

3. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

4. onemind

onemind Member

5. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Swart Space Tone 6V6!

6. champster

champster Member

A 5F1 or 5F2A kit. Weber has a couple that sound good for the price.

7. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Damn straight............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. bugman

bugman Member

never herd of kendrick or space tone there seem to be so many out there and there hard to find them to try them thats why im posting this question, lookin for a 5 watt tweed for home use everybody always gets these big amps that are way to loud for home use, ones iv found on line are victoria, clark, marsh,cox, valve train, pierson, they all make champ clones,only herd the victoria champ 8 in speaker

9. Peppy

Peppy Member

Swart. You may have never heard of them but you should at least hear them before making a decision. Try their site for sound samples.

10. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

11. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Kendrick Roughneck. Will take any powertube and rectifier tube. Great little box. Looks cool, sounds great.

Mike

12. go7

go7 Member

Victoria 5112, A 5F1 champ circuit in a larger Deluxe pine cab with a 12 in speaker. Had mine for 4 years. Perfect home tweed amp. Good luck!

13. trwigg

trwigg Member

+10, there is not a better 5 watt amp made.

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

Gries 5. Blackface cleans and Tweed crunch. Top notch components at a reasonable price.

15. bugman

bugman Member

iv posted this question a few times and no one helped,guess i worded it wrong,keep the good feedback coming,the gries seems to be a bargon and its a head which is cool for useing diferant cabs, but i like the look of tweed,cant have every thing i guess

16. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

the Gries 5 is great for blackface Fendery cleans and tweedy overdrive sounds. If you want a blackface Fendery clean, then the Gries 5 is an excellent choice and a bargain considering the build quality and how great it sounds. If you want some thing more tweedy throughout its tones, Gries now makes the Minnow, a little 5 watt head with minimal controls and it is inexpensive (550 new, I think)...their website is griesamps.com

The Swart Space Tone 6v6se is great for a more tweedy Fender sound through the clean and dirty tones. There is also the Swart Space Tone Reverb which has a 12" speaker and tube reverb...that would be worth a look as well if you are concerned about the Space Tone 6v6se having a 8" speaker.
    Swart amps are really well made and have a justly deserved great reputation. Go to swartamps.com and check out the sound samples for both the Space Tone 6v6se and the Space Tone Reverb. There are really great clips of all the Swart amps on that site. Fat Sound Guitars is an excellent dealer who sells the Swarts and I would recommend them although there are many other dealers as well and you can buy direct if you'd prefer.

Victoria, Kendrick, Clark, and Richter all sell 5 watt amps that would be great as well.

hope that helps! Definitely check out Swart and Gries as they make great amps at reasonable prices and IMHO they are right up there in terms of reputation and quality and tone with any of the other amp builders you are already considering.

Eric

17. Trout

Trout Member

Richters RS 5.8 is a fairly cost effective tweedish/champish amp. Bonuses include 12" speaker, Tweed is the standard finish, though I saw A Blonde Tolex version on her ebay a while back.

Also, it can run 6V6 or 6L6 with the bias selector she uses. Nice little unit.

Youtube clip from another TGP member. I have heard it takes pedals well, though I never use them.

18. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I had a Marsh tweed Princeton clone with a 10" speaker. Great amp,
    fantastic tone. That sucker was loud!

19. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I have the poor man's version of this - Weber 5f1 kit in a mojotone 12" tweed combo cab. Bought off ebay for a little less than $500 and it sounds GREAT - esepecially with a Bad Monkey in front to give it a little push. With the 5E3 I used to own, I had to live in the first 10% of the volume knob. With the 5f1, I'm usually at 5 on the volume. The Bad Monkey is also a great addition because of the ability to tweak bass or treble.

:AOK

20. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

Yes, I would recommend the Richter 5.8. It just sounds so good and loves pedals and I especially like it with delay. I am currently using mine in 8-watt mode which gives a little more headroom and bottom end. One thing that amazes me is the quality of tone throughout the volume range.

As for the AST 6v6, I personally thought it sounded a but too "tweedy" for *my* taste but that was probably attributable to the 8" speaker. ymmv. The Swart Space Tone Reverb is more my tone style.

Hope this helps!

matt