What's a Good Analog Sounding, Inexpensive Delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Last Nerve, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

For someone who doesn't use delay that much, what's the best out there?

DLS EchoTap, Keely DD-3, Toadworks Redux?

Not interested in the Echoczar or TTE...but looking for something that might get me so excited about delay that I MIGHT be after one or the other someday.

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

I use an Analog Man modded DD3, no compliants here....

3. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

BYOC delay with or without the effects loop. You can get the kit or buy it prebuilt. Excellent value.

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Ibanez EM-5, or DL-5 great inexpensive (not analog, but VERY warm and analog sounding)

Arion SAD-1 Great analog delay

Danelectro Reel Echo nice and very easy to dial in specific delay times, although takes up way too much real estate

If you can get a good deal on a Boss DM-2 or DM-3 (not likely, but i saw a DM-2 go for like 20 bucks recently on ebay)
    EH Memory Man (more expensive)

5. erksin

erksin Member

The DLS and DD-3 are digitals, FWIW...

I just picked up an Arion SAD-1 and really dig it. Old school analog repeats with ZERO noise unless you have everything dimed.

6. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I've heard good things about the EM-5, so the DL-5 is great also?

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I dont have one, but have heard one and it was extremely similar to the em-5 IMO (which i have also heard mine should be here any day now)
    I would buy the one on ebay, but I am stretched WAY too thin right now. :(

8. capnbringdown

capnbringdown Member

The DE-7 is still the standard for me. Great little pedal. btw, the de-7 is basically the em-5 in a better case. When I had the em-5, I was a little woried about the plastic. It's a tough plastic, but still. Besides, they're essentially the same pedal, and the de-7 will probably cost a lot less.

9. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I just picked up a Smart People Factory Interstate 5 Delay. Very, very nice sounding analog delay that's also quite versatile. Check them out, they've got great stuff and they're relatively up-and-coming.

10. cubba65

cubba65 Member

The DL-5 is a little clearer sounding than the EM-5, but it's still a warm sound, not harsh in the mids or treble ... balanced is more like it, well worth the little money.
    But I still prefer the EM-5.

The BYOC may be a good option (haven't heard one yet).

11. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

i dig the carl martin delayla.....the original one......very nice warm sounds and it got me ramped up about the echoczar

12. ixsaves13

ixsaves13 Supporting Member

You know, I've been searching for a good delay pedal for a while and ended up with an Echopark. I thought i'd never end up with one, but it has definitely surprised me with it's sound quality, flexibility, and price.

I first had problems with the infamous buzz, but now that i have a voodoo labs pp2+, no problems. The delays go from crystal clear to warm analog. You have tap tempo at your disposal as well as other options like reverse, swell, etc...

I had the Boss DD20, which had a lot of options, but it was somewhat sterile sounding. I was unhappy how it made everything I sounded muddy and washed out.

So the echo park will cover the more specific delay needs and when i get my echoczar, that'll cover the rest. I'm done with delays!

13. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

i would hardly call the DD-20 sterile. It sounds great and the presets are where its at. Frankly, its the best value in delay pedals in terms of what you pay and what you get.

Alot of times its better to have a digital delay or at least a tone knob to add some brightness...like on a stage with a full band. Analog just gets lost. Digital cuts through better.

I think alot of peoples' problems with the boss stem from the fact that it says boss on it.

14. Franklin

Franklin Member

15. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

16. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet

The 'Grand Canyon' is a pretty inexpensive, warm analog delay..you can tailor your wet/dry mix based on current weather conditions, figuratively speaking..make the gigs come to you.

or..

Pickup a 'Rockman Stereo Echo' off Ebay for cheap...real good, real warm, stereo (if you want), Footswitch controlable, very small (only this size/weight of a video cassette)...very over looked, underatted, not even a blip on the radar..prob cause it says Rockman on the front and people think that means 'Gonna sound like Boston' (I've noticed people aren't good a 'thinking' sometimes)..but..so...ignore all that, take a left turn, it might lead to the Grand Canyon.

17. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I'm using the Digitech Digidelay in the Tape Echo mode......... Works good for me and its not expensive!

18. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

Another enthusiastic vote for the DD3. THere is a reason why Boss still makes it. With the analogman mod it's just about the perfect delay for me (or someone that "doesn't use delay much").
    A

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

If you find a used DOD EchoFX in good shape around, snap it up. It has the same BBD chip as the more expensive delays but has stayed low in price on the used market because it's a DOD. The jacks are a little weak on the unit but a little easy repair work can prevent problems.

The Dano delays can get pretty vintage analog sounding and the Ibanez DE-7's aren't bad either.

20. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

1+++:RoCkIn :dude