What's a good combo for under $500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I've been thinking about the Peavey Delta blues 2x10. Good cleans are ok, but more interested in a good o.d.

2. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I played a Classic 30 recently and that thing smoked.
    Great amp for $400

3. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

What does the overdrive sound like on these amps? Is it marshally?

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Ampeg Gemini, Reverb-e-Rocket, VT-40, VT-22. Killer amps. The Geminis and R-e-Rs are now topping at 500 or sometimes a little more. You can still find some of them (typically, in worse condition) and VT-40s for notably less.

5. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Well you own a Germino so I'm not going to say they're Marshally. I didn't really try to catagorize it I just ajmmed on it for a few minutes and thought it rocked and the clean was really nice too. I'm not saying you need to run out and get one but for $400 it's a really nice amp. Really nice.

6. cnardone

cnardone Member

I think a used Soldano Atomic 16 (if you can find one) is a great deal for under $500. Great soldano sounds at reasonable volumes.

cmn

7. BigFurryWhale

BigFurryWhale Member

I own the 210. I'm very happy with it, a great value. Like you said, the cleans are great. I would describe the overdrive as marshally, but by no means dead on marshall. Personally, i like it's OD alot. It's a bit thin at certain settings, so i use a tube screamer to help thicken and fill out the sound a bit. Not very suitable for high gains mind you. I'm not a big fan of the OD channel with the gain up high. Give it a go for yourself, it's impressed most people i've showed it to.

8. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Traynor ycv40,
    tone controls on both channels,
    boost on the dirt channel/ with footswitch functionality
    built like a BR*** sh&t house
    great warranty

don't pay xtra for a wr unless you think you'll like a v30 in a open back

look int the 2x10!!!

the ycv50 blue has el34 and master volume... really, for the $ it's one of these or a peavy!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

9. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Try yourself a Crate V series, like a V3112. You'll be amazed at how good they sound.

10. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I agree tonewise with the Traynors. I own both a YCV40 and a YCV50 and IMO they are a good tone/price amp. However, reliability is a serious question. Both my 40 and my 50 failed shortly after I bought them and had to be shipped back to Traynor for repair.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Yep. Great workingman's amp.

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've had my C30 for at least a couple of years and I like it a lot. I picked up a Traynor YCV40 and while it's a good amp, I found the C30 to be chimier and the lead channel was way easier to dial in a great lead sound in the Marshall/vox vein, whereas I was always fooling with the Traynor's lead eq to try to 'get it right'. I sold the Traynor........ Still have and use the PV.

jon

13. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

C30 with a Greenback in it has a nice woody crunch on the gain channel. This is a very versatile amp for the money. The clean channel with pedals can also be all that some players will ever need. I wish it had a half power switch and footswitch able boost, but those are only quibbles. I will always have a C30 in my stable.

14. p.snail

p.snail Member

Peavey Delta Blues is a great amp, also the new Peavey Valveking amps are reasonable. Traynors make nice pets, but in my opinion, one of the best sounding amps in this price range are the new Kustom Coupe '36 amps. You won't believe it when you hear it.

15. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

Hey, I actually live in Union, KY too. Are there any dealers in our area here?

16. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

You can readily find used but minty Fender Deluxe Reverbs for around that price. Great cleans, 2 channels (clean, trem/verb), and a classic tone still preferred by so many (Eric Johnson et. al.). No drive channel, but cooperates well with all pedals I've used in front of it. Plenty of power, compact, durable, and anyone can work on it. My vote for an ideal all-arounder...first class tone for beer money. I have my share of pricey boutique offerings, many have come and gone, but my Deluxe is a permanent fixture. AC

17. SAMIAM

SAMIAM Member

Carvin Nomad - great amp at that price right out of the box.There are so many mods you can do as you go along it's not even funny -and quite frankly with all Hasserl mods done (with minimal soldering experience you can do yourself for mere pennies )they don't call 'em marshall killers for nothin'.You can pull two tubes for a 25 watter , run it through an extension cab (specially closed with a green back voiced spkr), it takes pedals well , very versatile, affordable , beautifull looking , and easy to keep upgrading ad naseum as you go.:)

18. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

Dang - how many of us live in Union? You wouldn't think it's big enough....

19. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Peavey Ultra has a good OD imho and I've seen the 2x12 combos going for under 500.00.

20. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Peavey Classic series
    Crate V series
    New traynors