Whats a good humbucker equipped guitar for funk/r&b?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Feb 9, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Thinking of selling of a strat to get a humbucker equipped guitar? What would be a good options. I'd need to stay under a $1000. I'd love a nice Gibson holly body but again don't have thtat kind of cash. Whats my next best option>? Thanks guys.

2. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

check out used Heritages...555, 575, ect...they are very reasonable!!!!

ebay, craigslist, TGP!!!

3. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Look around for a used Yamaha SA2200, it's a very nice 335-style guitar. The build quality is first rate, and the humbuckers are splittable separately, giving you tons of tonal options.

Yamaha SA2200

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

G&L ASAT Bluesboy - humbucker neck, Tele bridge. All three positions are perfect for funk/r&b.

5. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

If you just want to stop the hum, I'd just put Kinman or DiMazio Area 58 pickups in the strat. That'd be a much cheaper option. Of course if you are looking for a fatter humbucking tone similar to Gibson's I'd suggest you checkout the Reverend guitars for less money or buy a humbucking strat pickguard and put Duncan 59's in it. Otherwise just spend the bucks and get a Gibson 335 or 339. Just my thoughts.

6. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

If you would love a Gibson I would suggest looking for a second had ES-333. They can be found for less $1,000.00.

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Epiphone Elitist ES 335

8. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

9. pennylink

pennylink Member

Which model Edwards do you think?

10. Rick51

Rick51 Member

I've got some strong opinions on this.

The pickups are the most important part. Stay away from hot/overwound pickups. You need clean, clear, bright tone, the more vintage the better. You don't need or want a thick sound for funk/R&B.

A two pickup guitar works best - you need the bridge/neck combination sometimes.

If you have a big band, try a Telecaster (I know it's not a humbucker, but...). Steve Cropper was right. They lay just right against a horn section. Pair it with an amp that's a little gnarly and you've got it all!

11. telecopter

telecopter Member

My SG Standard does it just fine for me. That's the kind of band I play in.

12. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Grab an older Ibanez Artist. Both the solid and semi-hollow models are great for chanky, middle-position rhythm stuff. It works for John Scofield, right?

13. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    +1 Tele and depending on the room the right fender type amp to stay clean but take you over to the otherside of the edge when you need it.

Try as I might I'm not remembering many FUNK player with HB's.

For reference listen to Curtis Mayfield, early Funkadelic ( MaggotBrain) The JB's Pass the Peas, The Ohio Players, Early James Brown on King Records

take it to the bridge
    Listening to Rick James
    Bustin out of L7
    on licorice pizza hit me

14. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

+1 on a tele. I like the bucker in the neck for this setting (the middle position is R&B heaven) but you have to find one voiced open enough that you don't have to have two different amp settings for the two pickups. I've become a real fan of Filtertrons (TV Jones), and Fralin or Lollar could make you a nice bucker/tele bridge set. Two bucker teles can work well too, but as posted above, stay with vintage output pickups if you want it to cut well.

15. tjs

tjs Senior Member

As far as pickups go, the WCR Bet Set is perfect for funk/R&B sounds.

16. ~el gringo loco

~el gringo loco Member

Telecasters are great funk guitars, but Jimmy Nolen used a 335 back in the day with James Brown to really good effect. You gotta turn down the volume and play in the middle position, and it helps if you favor the bridge pu over the neck pu in the mix. You can get that real phat but sharp chink sound going that way, especially if you're using a loud, clean amp like a Twin Reverb.

Leo Nocentelli used a 335 with the Meters back before he got that famous Starcaster of his, and same thing -- just check out the original "Cissy Strut". You can play it better on a 335 set up right than on a tele . . .

It's not easy to do unless you've got the right rig, though -- if you're using a smaller amp that overdrives easily a HB guitar will really mess you up if you're trying to get the funk going. If you've got a big amp and you keep the guitar volume down, though, it's as funky as you wanna be.

~j

17. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i thought nocentelli used a tele for the early meters stuff

18. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

+1 70% of the tone will be your amp. Any good humbucker guitar will get you there with the right amp. The best for the job will be a semi-hollow so you can hear the wood, for more snap. Heritage makes a H555 which would be great. The earlier ones had a maple neck/ebony fretboard. The newer ones have a mahogany neck/ebony fretboard. The maple has better attack for funk.

19. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Jimmy Nolen was primarily a full-hollow Gibson archtop guy: '50s ES-5 & ES-175 with P-90s were his primary guitars with both Johnny Otis (that's Nolen on the original "Hand Jive") and James Brown, though he also used an L-5CES in the late 60s. There's footage of Catfish Collins using a 335 onstage with the JBs, though he was widely reported using a Vox Ultrasonic on most of the singles.

20. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Yep. 61 RI with WCR pickups. I love the tone for the soul and RnB stuff we do.