1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's a good multi channel rock-ish head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cocheese, Aug 31, 2005.

1. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I'm toying with the idea of picking up a channel switching amp to do some more rock oriented stuff but don't really know where to start. Bogner, Diezel, ? I'm looking for something that can go from clean to dirty to lead. I've had tons of non master amps over the years but I've just skipped all the newer boutique channel switchers. I think I'd have fun with the gain on tap! KARRRAAANNNGGGGG... :D

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Guytron. Awesome amp nothing more to say, check the clips on the website. You can get more gain then the clips show but you'll get the idea. This is flat out the best amp I have ever owned.

3. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Guytron
    The only thing it wont do is Recto Death Metal.

Great cleans, great distortion, Killer amp!
    Sounds great at bedroom levels too.

Good luck with your search.

4. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Diezel

Einstein, Herbert, or VH4. They are channel switchers (2, 3, or 4 channels depending) and all have plenty of gain on tap.

:cool:

5. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

Elmwood Modena 60 - two channels with footswitchable boost on each channel that's almost as good as having four channels.

Channel 1 does Fendery clean unboosted and tweed/early Marshall boosted, Channel two is somewhere between modded Marshall, Soldano and Bogner, and can go from moderate to high gain.

They're pretty hard to find in this country, though, but worth it if you can find one.

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Zinky superfly. And even as a bruiser, it still does bedroom volumes very well.

7. RGN

RGN Member

I have a Diezel VH4 and have been very pleased with it. It is more versatile that I ever could have imagined. It can do Fender cleans, AC/DC light crunch, 80s gain crunch or super hi-gain modern stuff. Combined with a G-Force and a MIDI controller you'll have it all at a step of a pedal :dude

8. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

9. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

I play a Bogner Shiva. I love it. It's a little dark, and it won't do Vox or crazy, crazy high gain (though it will get really gainy), but it's my favorite amp so far.

I may feel the need to go the crazy MIDI controlled amp plus rack setup someday, or I may want to try something with a more "user friendly" effects loop, but I'm definitely keep this one even if that does happen.

10. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Believe it or not, I sold my Diezel VH4S to get a Randall RM100. I couldn't be happier.

11. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

And I am confident you made the right choice. I have owned EVERY amp listed above except the Zinky and currently own an Egnater MOD 100 among others and will not only say that I like it better then every amp above but it is the amp to beat in my book. Kills!!! I can get some of the best tones I have ever heard from this thing.

12. fatback

fatback Member

Aiken - Sabre

In channel 1 Randall somehow coaxes very full Fendery cleans out of a pair of el-34.

The gain channel goes from classic rhythm crunch to face melting lead tones with the boost enganged.

It gets some huge tones with great definition.

Great amp!

:dude

If you are looking for something different than the standard EL-34 rock tones, the 4-6V6 Orange Rockerverb 50 can also get you from clean to scream and would be worth a listen. Another cool amp.

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

14. Blue Finger

Blue Finger Member

CAA OD100SH. I couldn't be happier with mine, best cleans and the best crunch my ears have ever heard.

15. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Another killer amp! Incredible tones and such authority. I love mine as well and for what it does there is no better. I consider it to be a two channel amp and to me it is the best two channel amp I have ever played. The boosts and loop and master as well as the totally seperate eq and other stuff make it just great. So many tones in that beast and it sounds so good. Another alltime favorite for me.

16. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Mesa Boogie DC-5, totally under rated and reasonably priced, power, versatility and tone in spades!

17. Blueser

Blueser Member

18. sws1

sws1 Member

If you want something in the Marshall vein, but with a lot of extra features, check out a Mesa Stiletto. 2 channels, but 3 modes on each channel so you can set it up how you want. Very good clean, and 3 very different dirty channels. And much cheaper than the boutique amps.

I love mine. Great rock amp.

19. Bearded

Bearded Member

Did I miss it or has no one mentioned Rivera? Play a Fandango head. You'll not be disappointed.

Joe

20. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

Rivera Jake. Very versatile channel switcher. A search on the board will get you more info. There's one in the "for sale" board for a very fair price.

Scott L.