What's a good price for a custom leather guitar strap?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by elkym, Feb 20, 2009.

1. elkym

elkym Member

I'm thinking a plain strap, two tone, one side a tan color, the other side a sort of russet brown, perhaps vaguely similar to Levi Straps.

2. paul1122

paul1122 Member

I have a big thick leather one that I have had for years. 40 buck tops

3. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

http://www.brookwoodleather.com/

Bob's prices are very reasonable for the quality and craftsmanship of his outstanding straps. He is a member here "otaypanky".

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Depends on how custom. My wife is a leather carving artist and she makes straps as well as other items. Depending on the design, a hand made strap can take many, many hours to make. Adding hand carving and hand stitching takes even more time. If you can find a pre-made Levi's strap in the $50.00 range, that may be the way to go for a basic strap made in a factory. Any strap that is custom ordered and hand made by one person is gonna cost you more. Figure if a custom strap maker takes 8 hours to make a basic strap, if it sells for $50.00, he made a whopping $6.25 an hour MINUS materials!

5. 2112

2112 Member

Personally since I sold these watch straps for $1100 each - any guitar strap seems cheap :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

6. lpuncle

lpuncle Member

Try Moody she makes them and go for $150-$250

7. PFCG

PFCG Member

why on god green earth were those watch straps that much? They dont even look that spectacular

I have Lizard Skin cowboy boots that were 300 bucks and are considered exotic. I even got stingray, but why 1100 bucks for a watch strap?

Btw, my favorite guitar strap has been my moody strap that i got about 6 years ago.

8. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

9. jpage

jpage Member

I paid $2-300 a few years ago for a custom length (xx-long) Diamondback rattlesnake skin strap by Mosby Guitars:

[​IMG]

A straight up leather strap shouldn't run you more than $50 I wouldn't imagine though...

10. jpage

jpage Member

A limited edition Panerai Platinum watch can run you upwards to $40-50k...

That being said, Pre-Vendome Panerai straps sell for $250-$350 on ebay. $1100 sounds awfully inflated.

11. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Through tomorrow...you can get two Italia straps for about $100.00 shipped...

Currently, my favorite strap is by Moody, but the Brookwoods look cool as well.

12. 2112

2112 Member

I agree but these are the PAV90 and PAV99 - not inflated if you check the latest prices :thud. I should have held off selling them as I had 4 but it got me my Artinger so no loss :).

BTW, here are the last ones sold

Paneristi

Sorry to have taken this thread OT but I was just trying to point out we get some good bang for the buck with out straps :).

John

13. PFCG

PFCG Member

I know people would say im nuts for spending alot of money on guitars.

It must be the same feeling when i see someone with an expensive watch. I always think to myself...... My cell phone tells time perfectly!

If i were ever to get a super expensive watch, or guitar strap, id go to Chrome Hearts, so it matches my ring!

14. SimonBSinister

SimonBSinister Silver Supporting Member

Wow I have been playing 30 + years and don't consider myself cheap by any stretch of the imagination, that being said I would NEVER spend over $100 for a strap...to me that is the ultimate in over-paying.... $100 for a strap????? That is nuts....$50 would make me cringe....

YMMV....

SBS

15. Dollar

Dollar Member

I don't know what to say about those watch straps that wouldn't be insulting so I'll leave that alone.

One other place to try for quality made yet reasonably priced guitar straps for the mentally sane would be http://www.eldoradostraps.com/products-over.htm

16. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

Its nice to see another paneristi on TGP.

while I wont spend that on straps I have a beautiful Pam 63 and a 127 I'm saving for my retirement. At the time I thought I was crazy spending that much on a watch. They are appreciating more than any guitar I have ever had.

17. ricoh

ricoh Member

I'm with this guy.......................except I may not be mentally sane!!!!!!!

18. phatster

phatster Member

I have several of the Italia straps...check them on Ebay.

19. jbird

jbird Member

Buy one, get one free, from Italia!

20. Metalheart

Metalheart Member

$20 at the flea market :) Works everytime.