1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's a good Rectifier for a Princeton Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Goldstrat, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

I think I need a new Rectifier tube for my Silverface Princeton Reverb. Any suggestions for a good one? Does it make a tone difference? NOS or new? I think it has the newer kind of rube in it now 5UGB or something like that.I wouls appreciate any recommendatons of a good tube and where to get it? Thanks!

2. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Is the filament blown in the 5U4G tube? If so, yes, you'll need to replace it. :)

If the amplifier is still working, what makes you think that the rectifier tube is whipped?

I guess you could put a GZ34 in there, but I gather that 6V6 tubes in Fender amp's are running pretty hot already and the GZ34 has a lower voltage drop than the 5U4G which could certainly cause problems.

In my experience, getting good used 5U4G is very easy. I have a shoe box full of them.

DJ

3. Goldstrat

I'm going to get it serviced. The bass notes crap out when it is turned up. The highs and midrange sound good. I think it has been modified so I am going to have someone check it out that knows what they are doing. It gets real loud fast. It's like 3 on the volume should be 6 or 7. Around 1 is already pretty loud for practice and it's breaking up at between 2 and 3. I have tried different pre tubes and power tubes that I know are good but I don't have another Rectifier to try.

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Are both halves of the rectifier tube glowing?

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

Careful with putting a 5AR4 / GZ34 rectifier in there. The increased B+ voltage may exceed the maximum for the filter cap. This is especially true if the amp has the original old cap can still installed. It would be best to replace that old cap can if it is still original.

6. songsmith1950

songsmith1950 Member

I loved a 5Y3 in my silverface Princeton. Broke up a little earlier and not quite as much volume though still loud. The tones became rounder earlier because of the lower B+ through the rectifier.

Tom

Songsmith

7. Goldstrat

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried several different tubes in the amp and it sounds pretty good other than it being real loud early. I have a Raytheon 5Y3 and also a GT solid state rectifier. The SS sounds awful but the 5Y3 sounds pretty good. I put a Telefunken in V1 and that helped. I have GT 6v6 tubes in it and I think that might be part of the problem. I am going to have a pro check it out and it probably needs some new caps. I have a Jenkins 1x12" with a Weber Blue Alnico that it sounds great through. Thanks for all the help.

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Using a SS rectifier could be disastrous. You'll almost certainly exceed the voltage limit of your filter caps and 6V6s.

You should really be rebiasing for each type of rectifier you use to prevent a possible blowout of your 6V6s and to get a realistic comparison of how the different rectifier types sound.

9. Goldstrat

I have it back to the stock rectifier and tubes other than the Telefunken 12ax7 in V1. It sounds best this way anyway. I'm going to have it checked out and Biased. Thanks!

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

given the relatively weak PT in the PR (IIRC), I stick w/ the stock rectifier, and have gone to a Weber Copper Cap because they are a little easier on the PT... sounds great, have had no issues at all thus far.