What's a good Schroeder DB7 alternative?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by leftycajun, Apr 26, 2015.

1. leftycajun

leftycajun Member

Not to knock Schroeder, but they're hard to get and way out of my budget. Here's why I'm asking. I'm a big Nels Cline fan. that being said, I'm not looking to sound like Nels. BUT, I like what he uses the Schroeder for: a dynamic clean platform for pedals.

Here's the question: Will any 30-40 watt marshall style amp do basically the same job or am I missing something?

note: if I could afford a DB7 and it made sense for my gig I'd get one. I'd much rather give the builder/originator the money.

2. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Any standard JTM45 circuit will give you exactly what you want. Great for pedals.

3. MHG

MHG Member

They're no harder to get than any other amp on the market, but they're definitely not cheap. What's you're budget? What kind of guitar do you use? What kind of music do you play?

4. dB

dB Member

I'd pair one of these: http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/V8G.html
    with a 6L6 power amp. I think I recall reading a few years ago that the DB7 was an octal preamp with a tone stack similar to an Ampeg...some version of a Baxandall? I know that is what the V8 is based on.

5. Imola82

Imola82 Member

Reach out to Tim and let him know what you're looking for and find out if he can do something to meet your sonic needs and budget. Great guy! If you guys can't find a fit, I agree with the post above suggesting a JTM45 type build.