What's a good SG substitue?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wrxplayer, Jan 13, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Lots of talk here about Korean, Japanese, Canadian LPs. What's good in the way of SG clones?

2. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

If you don't want an exact copy, the Reverend Daredevil HB is a great choice, it's definitely in the vein of the SG. Great stock pickups and they can be had for about $500.00.

3. wrxplayer

Actually, prefer similar characteristics to "exact copy." Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out.

4. ghoti

ghoti Member

People always like ESP Vipers.

5. simon_62

simon_62 Member

PRS Mira gets my vote

6. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Yes, this people does like his ESP ltd Viper 301, originally stock wiht HZ passive pups, got an upgrade to an 81 in the bridge.

Xmas preswsie from my wife 4 yr ago, has definite fret wear from severehours of playing, still holds it's own in company of ESP KH-2 and various LP's including 2 R9's.
    The only thing to watch wiht older ones like mine was the strap button in the end of the horn snappong the tip off, which happened to me a few hours after I opened the box on Xmas day. They changed the position to on the heel at the back, like an SG.
    Newer ones come standard wiht EMG 85/81 actives, I would get the 30 yr anniversary model wiht the dragon inlay if I had a choice.

7. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

What is keeping you from buying an SG? Are you looking for a lower price range? It's hard to answer your question without knowing this.

8. wrxplayer

I like to look around for excellent sounding and well made guitars that represent good values, meaning relatively inexpensive to buy and nice to play. Not necessarily looking at this point but thinking about it. Short answer: yes, less expensive that buying a Gibson.

9. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Reverend Daredevil. They make a humbucker version and a P-90 version.

10. Maxer

Maxer Member

One of the higher-end Vipers (anything that's neck-through rather than the bolt-ons) will do, I think. I like how they've torqued the classic SG shape... pretty cool. I'd want to replace the active pickups and go for the double humbuckers myself... though strangely enough, only the bolt-ons of the current lineup offer the humbuckers. Pretty well-made guitars, though.

11. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

12. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I like the faded SG's by Gibson. Most that I have played have been great guitars for the money!
    A friend actually purchased one and stripped the finish, re-shaped the neck (he likes to do these types of thing, it wasn't that it was necessary) dropped in new pickups and refinsihed...It is a very cool piece!

13. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

If you ever see a Guild S-100 Polara, grab it. It's their take on an SG, not a copy, and it's not produced any more since Fender bought Guild.

I had a late-90s version (from the old Westerly RI plant) that I paid $750 for with HSC. An excellent guitar, wish I hadn't traded it. ==K

14. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

Same here. I've owned one for a few weeks now, and I'm more impressed every time I pick it up. Great axe that falls somewhere between an SG, LP Jr., and PRS. Nice, girthy tone w/ bite. Supremely playable. Light weight.

A

15. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Epiphone G-400...+ pup and electronics swap...

$600 tops...mine sounds feels plays better then any faded sg Ive tred at GC

16. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Burny and Tokai make a great SG clone. I have a 80s Burny 60s SG clone and a 80s Tokai 70s SG clone. Upgraded electronics and threw in some WCR pickups in the Burny. Awesome guitar, but I may sell it. Don't think I'm an SG guy.Tokai is getting sold as well. I always just reach for my Les Pauls or my Tele.

17. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

18. Alvis

Alvis Member

My faded SG was my favorite cheap gear purchase of 07.Resonant as hell ,cant put it down

19. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

20. wrxplayer

I traded a brand new off the rack Strat in 1978 for a Guild S-100. Very nice guitar. As with all of them, wish I still had it. :horse